Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

World Classic Doppelgängers

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 187 / Views: 4,997Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1857 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stamps, one of my favourite.
Thanks for sharing!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Just_fella!
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yet another...

Ireland, 1923 5d deep violet, and 1940 5d deep violet; which is the "evil twin"(?)...
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that no one is going to "stick their neck out" on this pair. Don't be shy. C'mon, wha'd'ya have to lose?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1857 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right side looks to have a yellwish hue (could be my screen)
The hand and hilt have less clear detail.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, what's your verdict?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1857 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had to double check, guessing right is the evil twin
Arguing with my self I have both copies unlabeled
The right looks like what I would expect from then,
The left looks office quality
But seeing I'm not 100% coin toss took right :)
Edited by Just_fella - 06/28/2022 9:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4420 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Calling one of them an "evil twin" fails to communicate anything to collectors unfamiliar with Irish stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1857 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are we trying to identify what year each stamp was printed?
23's on the right, 40 on the left?
Edited by Just_fella - 06/28/2022 10:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
606 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was under the impression the only reliable way to tell these two definitive Ireland releases apart was by watermark, which cannot be seen in your photos. I am open to being corrected but I worked on an Ireland collection a few years back and recall the majority of my time was spent staring either at watermarks or at very minute overprint details for the earlier overprinted GB issues.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1857 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't stating anything as fact, was just guessing.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The one on the right is the doppelgänger, the "evil twin". It is of the second printing, and its colour is more like a deep ultramarine, more blue than red.

I once read, many years ago, that the first native issues of Ireland, 1922-23, were printed in secret, and in the basement of Dublin Castle.

Before I had scanned the "good 'un", of 1923, I converted it, to effect a fresher, newer appearance, and for its presentation...

I finally got round to doing that, and to save it from a fate worse than <insert here>.

Yes, the watermarks...

Ireland, 1922-23, 1/2d to 1/-...

Those of the first printing is the set to have, and to behold.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1677 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   03:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!

From the perspective of the issuing entity, the change in the watermark - due to Ireland becoming a Republic (not officially recognised for another 9 years) instead of a Free State - does not constitute a new stamp. For us philatelists, it does.

This series also has a 6d issued on chalk-surfaced paper, and the 3d and 5d stamps printed in photogravure. The 5d printed in photogravure has two types.

A full history: http://goscf.com/t/78697

Almost all Irish permanent issues have doppelgängers. The birds even have several.

UK permanent issues since 1902 are also a good source.
And how about the UK's pre-decimal to pay labels?
Dutch permanent series are another source. Take the current set of three stamps in use since 2013. Each exists in 10 versions.
Edited by NSK - 06/29/2022 04:03 am
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you NSK.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gold Coast, 1876-85, 4d deep mauve, and magenta...

Which is the doppelgänger of the other?
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 187 / Views: 4,997Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05