Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

World Classic Doppelgängers

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 187 / Views: 4,995Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1857 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll guess Left is the Doppler?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why is the left one the "evil twin"?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1857 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll leave out my poor explanations, just a guess, After all it is a 50/50.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll give you a hint: on the backside, one exhibits the "Crown & CC" watermark, and the other the "Crown & CA"(the doppelgänger). In this instance, what makes that one the "dud" is its lower monetary value, hence perhaps many more were printed and used, than the other. Both are lovely, yes, from the front.

Isn't that the way, when shopping for a stamp. The vast majority of sellers show only the front of a stamp. Then, sometimes, once it arrives, you turn the stamp over, and horrors of horrors: thins, repaired tears, hardened/petrified gum, et al.

But the backs of these two are pretty, now, and sound. Incidentally, all of the stamps I illustrate are sound, unless noted otherwise.

Needless to say, from what I know about them, which is which is as plain as the nose on my face. What I mean is, I don't have to re-check, ever again. I can tell which one is older, somewhat more costly, then perhaps scarcer as a result, and from their fronts.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two stamps have been ordered correctly all along, according to date, but the colours were reversed within the written description. The one of 1876, at left, is magenta; and the doppelgänger, at right, deep mauve, 1885.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1929, United States, 2¢ carmine-rose...

...safe light, at night, at last; no more fires, as with candles.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like flat plate on left and rotary press on right? At least the perforations on the sides seem coarser on the left...
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which imprinted design is "taller", vertically?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rotary would always be larger.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm...

I don't know what to think.
Pillar Of The Community
4419 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
rotary would always be larger

To clarify ... Meaning an image size "larger" in the direction of the curvature (stretching) of the plate as it is bent to form a cylinder (or more typically, a half cylinder, then paired).

Curiosity got the best of me and I had to dig out my album page. As it turns out, the rotary coil (Scott 656), being a horizontal coil, is slightly WIDER than the flat plate stamp. The rotary sheet stamp (Scott 655) was made on plates curved along the other axis, and thus is slightly TALLER than the flat plate stamp (Scott 654). Being a small size difference in the image, I would lean toward using a perforation gauge.

They differ in value by a nickel, both essentially equal and certainly look-a-likes, but neither really being the evil twin.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But one is, most definitely, albeit not quite as "evil" as some others, but "evil" nonetheless.

No more light by candles, once cherished...

...nor a raging fire caused simply by the upsetting of a single lantern...
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither stamp is a coil...

I have to wonder if that yellowing within the rotary's vertically-stretched design was caused by a chemical used during the printing process, or by its own gum. That rotary, #655, has a few things going against it to make it the "evil" twin. The gum is wonky, the design is stretched, distorted, and again, chemical-burn possibly, to where it caused the gum itself to yellow even. The lattermost is just a suspicion is all.
Pillar Of The Community
4419 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Neither stamp is a coil.

I understood that fully. You may ave missed my point that rotary is not necessarily "taller" depending on how the plate is curved.

Quote:
... chemical burn ...

No clue where you are getting this idea.

I guess I have a problem relegating either printing method to a lesser position than the other. The are both equally collectible.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And it's much easier to use the perforations as the clue to differentiate them. The flat plate is perf 11, the rotary perf 11x10½.
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 187 / Views: 4,995Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05