Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

World Classic Doppelgängers

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 187 / Views: 5,489Next Topic
Page: of 13
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had already checked the perforations of both. The coil didn't catch on apparently, within my collection, nor for use back in the day. The coil was a commemorative, destined to be purchased in modest amounts, seemingly offered for a limited time, hence its present catalogue value. Then, I'll not pay that much for a U.S. rotary, ever.

The inks of cancellations, a component thereof, can and do "burn" paper...

That was not caused by the stamp's original gum, and there'll be no getting it out.

With rotaries...

"Son, do you like stamps?"
"I sure do mister!"
"Then get ready, as we're about to fill those spaces!"

Decorative paper-towels are also rotary-printed.

My #655 was among the earliest of the rotary-press printings, somewhat later, yet just prior to the Crash of 1929. After that, all heck broke loose.

Admittedly, all of that is conjecture, or is it? I didn't prepare the inks for frankings and stamps, nor did you.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I utilised three of the four of my most secret ingredients, and stripped the rotary-printing of its gum; more's the pity...

Don't be sad. I can't abide by tears, or tears. There there, it now appears rather close to the way it did back in 1929, a plus. Note the brighter, whiter areas round the design, the perforations themselves, and compared to the darker, toned, blank areas within the design.

Hmm, let's look at the stamp's backside a bit more closely...

That's not a brownish toning caused by gum, as I had stripped same. No, it looks like where the printing-ink, or whatever, had "burned" the design into the paper.

The printed design is certainly there to remain.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   02:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jamaica, 1911, 2d grey, and both mint...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8765 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I utilised three of the four of my most secret ingredients, and stripped the rotary-printing of its gum; more's the pity...

Don't be sad. I can't abide by tears, or tears. There there, it now appears rather close to the way it did back in 1929, a plus. Note the brighter, whiter areas round the design, the perforations themselves, and compared to the darker, toned, blank areas within the design.

Why on earth do you keep removing gum from perfectly good stamps and why do you assume that without the gum it looks like it did in 1929? It is a practice that is antithetical to the hobby which kind of tilts strongly towards preservation. No?

Do what you want to your own property but I hope that newbies don't start thinking that it is a smart thing to do.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add exlibriseric to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with rogdcam...why would you remove the gum unless it was corrosive or destroying the stamp/paper in someway? I'm genuinely curious. Is it purely for personal, aesthetic reasons?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6675 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   3:59 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gum removal is and was practised in certain geographical areas, especially those where high humidity would damage a gummed stamp. No comments on StampGuy's approach, however.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be it known that I rarely remove gum, then only to preserve the stamp itself, and its printing. In that instance I did, although in order to reveal the nature of its inking. Those first embarking upon our hallowed pastime should know not to do so, certainly not upon their introductions, as such requires many years of experience, along with good old-fashioned common sense. Then, I do give "newbies" a bit more credit.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"...why would you remove the gum unless it was corrosive or destroying the stamp/paper in someway? I'm genuinely curious. Is it purely for personal, aesthetic reasons?"

Partly for the aesthestics, yes, but also to see the stamp without its gum, as previously noted.

I have a set of nine mint stamps, no image however, one of which was printed with fugitive ink. All nine had been hinged at all four sides, rendering the gums badly disturbed. However, I have the book, still, which identified the one with fugitive ink, and the high value, the key, not surprisingly. That one was not soaked, as the others were. Rather, I placed it on a paper-towel, face down, and brushed the gum off with a lightly moistened cotton ball. It was a delicate operation; and a rousing success, with water never having contacted the ink.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add exlibriseric to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your answer StampGuy64!
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/13/2022   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that no one has any interest in these two stamps...

...the poor things. They've been wondering as to why as well.

They had come all the way from a seller in Poland. I received them relatively quickly, about a week ago. They were the very best copies that I could find, online. Don't be shy, certainly not unlike those who had commented previously.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6038 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp guy -----Wait a minute ........are you trying to sell those here ?..........you said ---"No one has any interest in these two stamps poor things " " also you posted "They've been wondering as to why as well."

First I don't think your allowed to do that !

Second -You don't know what your doing ..........it is not the readers here ....it is you . Let's step back a minute you just got them from a seller last week and now your trying to sell them or looking for a buyer .

First nobody knows if they are MNH or l.h. or heavy hinged or no gum ? Normally when I see this Edward VII stamp and there are two of them ,it is because they are being sold as two shades types ,yours there is no clue that they are different or the same shade .....so clear that up before your looking for a buyer . Shades are grey and slate -grey .

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1860 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was interpreting that remark as referring to a lack of people guessing which is the evil twin of the two.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
781 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the case of the two Jamaica Edward VII stamps, Scott doesn't differentiate differences in them and I was sort of under the impression there was really only the one printing. So, maybe one has the paper manufacturers lettering on the watermark? Or perhaps a tiny design flaw in one like the dot under J in between frame lines?
Edited by billsey - 07/14/2022 7:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6038 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your right Bill S ,I got the Edward VII and the George V stamp mixed up ,it is the George V that have the two shades of grey ,what got me was my footnote in my album with S.G. #60 and 60a ,with Scott the 60 catalog number is the Edward VII. .Both are 60's for a 2p grey . ---one in a million ,never seen that before, look that up .
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Jamaican stamp in question is unique. From 1905 to 1910, Victoria, even though she had passed away in 1901, was still appearing on the stamps of Jamaica. Then, Edward had appeared only once, and never again, in 1911; an "In memoriam" issue, as Edward had passed away in 1910...

It had a spot on the front; the before-and-after image...

There never were two separate stamps. I only wanted to showcase that particular issue, as it is an icon in and of itself, the only one, and containing a great mystery.
Edited by StampGuy64 - 07/15/2022 02:10 am
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 187 / Views: 5,489Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05