Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

85B & 86 Posted Due To Relatively Clear Grill Illustrations To Compare Z & E Grills

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 2,142Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1419 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   12:51 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks essay. I really appreciate the comments from the experts here like yourself. There's no substitute for experience.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1080 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   12:51 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It might just be me, but the last two columns on the lower right don't look to be straight. Specifically, counting from the right side, the 2nd column, the bottom 5 rows. Also, NW of there, there are a few points that don't look aligned either, at least as I'm looking at it.

I might be wrong-- been wrong before! Thanks, Ray

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1419 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   2:58 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the stamp I don't think that's a real issue. I'll leave it to the PF at this point.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8467 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May be worth looking in the databases for previous certs that were "lost".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1419 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   9:12 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do that all the time. Unfortunately many of the stamps have been around so long that even those that claim to have certs are too old for the databases. When I do find them they are usually quite old. I think many of these stamps haven't seen the light of day in decades.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8467 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, and the "old" certificates in the PF database are a pain to go through!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
611 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps I should note that the example I posted back on p. 1 of the thread has PF cert 0122886 from 1983 and PF 504597 from 2012.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1419 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   09:50 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry we ended up hijacking your thread so much
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
611 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny - not my thread, but nor do I believe you highjacked it.

Parcelpost initiated it, but from the way he presented it to begin with, I have to imagine he's pleased at the substantive consideration of the Z grill through several examples.
- J
Learn More...
United States
10620 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   10:55 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The staff monitors and decides if a thread has gone off-topic.

To be honest there are often gray areas on how much to allow a thread to wander. In my experience, which includes heading up thousands of product design and development meetings, that the value of thread's content often comes beyond the original intent. So if I feel that a thread continues to add educational value I will let it run. Sometimes I send a personal email and let a poster it is starting to wander but we are letting it stand. Other times we will split out the posts which have value into a new thread. PLease note that we do not have the capability to split our posts and merge them into existing threads.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
sorry we ended up hijacking your thread so much

My intent as the OP was to start a discussion about how to determine what is a valid Z-Grill. I asked for more high quality photos of Z-grills (and E-grills) with the intent to allow others to better determine what is a Z-grill and if the grilled stamp they have is in fact a Z-grill.

As to the stamp which "took us off topic" (it did not) it was I who added the illustrations of the stamp the first time it was mentioned as a questionable Z-grill. Discussion ensued, the stamp was soaked to better reveal the grilling in question, a normal and common practice which in this case was in fact necessary to fully reveal the grill in question and for the conversation to continue on topic. Also on point for a newbie to learn how to do good grill identification when the is foreign material on the back of a used stamp.

As Don said thread are monitored for "on topicness " and I am fully able to send a message if I feel "my" topic is now running around in left field when it started as an iceboat race. However when that occurs, that is what makes this Smilie so wonderfully needed.

I even purposely tried to start a discussion by showing the first two grilled stamps, claiming what they were and stepped back to let the comments begin before I added the two certificates.

In summary this thread was created to help ID Z-grills (and to a lesser extent, non-Z-grills). So far it has exceeded my hoped for content. Now of course if a cert is gotten for the blue checkered canceled stamp, I expect it to be posted here to complete that portion of our discussion.

As to Don's comments, I have started I think two threads which, after one off topic political comment was posted, jumped off topic quicker than a Space Shuttle solid rock launch. The useful content just disappeared into the fog of politics and vanished into wherever a moderator needs to send the offending electrons.

So far, to all contributors to this thread.
Learn More...
United States
10620 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   5:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...vanished into wherever a moderator needs to send the offending electrons...

Not vanished but rather moved to the 'General Discussion'. This category is 'opt in' only so anyone who reads it has agreed that they want to see topics not supported in the other SCF categories.

The General Discussion threads are indexed by the search feature so the content is not lost or made invisible even by those who have not opted in. (but they would have to opt in to be able to read all the threads.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not vanished but rather moved to the 'General Discussion'.

Good to know, I was unaware.

That said, There are a few things I must do first before opting into the General Discussion thread:

1. Water pistol duel with a skunk.
2. Swim in the California coastal Pacific waters wrapped in flank steak during the current great white visits.
3. Tase myself to check the batteries in used tasers.
4. See how far a hungry Polar Bear would really track me on foot.
5. Had so much fun swimming with dolphins, I want to try alligators next.
6. See if playing dead actually stops a grizzly's attack.
7. Find the other copies from the 85A sheet.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 07/03/2022 6:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8467 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Water pistol duel with a skunk.

Skunks do not use water pistols.

Quote:
2. Swim in the California coastal Pacific waters wrapped in flank steak during the current great white visits.

Wear that Tuna cologne you like.

Quote:
3. Tase myself to check the batteries in used tasers.

Just use the battery check function unless you are into that type of activity.

Quote:
4. See how far a hungry Polar Bear would really track me on foot.

Polar Bears don't attack. They merely eat. Humans call it an attack.

Quote:
5. Had so much fun swimming with dolphins, I want to try alligators next.

Yes

Quote:
6. See if playing dead actually stops a grizzly's attack.

It will not but Perry Como music will. Do not play Rage Against the Machine.

Quote:
7. Find the other copies from the 85A sheet.

I have them all.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More Z-grill:

85C

85E

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 2,142Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05