Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Get Scott Numbers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 762Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
11 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bigtoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there an easy way to identify stamps by the Scott number without having to buy their expensive books?

Thanks in advance from this new guy.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7957 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you be more specific? Are you talking about worldwide from the start or new issues US only?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigtoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply Peter,

I'm returning to the hobby after about 50 years, so I am just re-learning. Now I'm looking for WW.

I just want a reference point in case I'm interested in a stamp or group of stamps. I used Scott catalog when I first started, but now they are so expensive I was just trying to see if there was a site or tool out there that I could use to get an approximate value of a potential buy.

Thanks,

Tom
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simple answer buy a old set of Scott catalogs . I have two recent sets and find myself using a 2014 set because it sits on the floor under my desk . You can buy a older set for just a few dollars per volume .
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use the local library. They have the Scoot catalogs allowing readers to check out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7957 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If everything else fails you can always check www.stampworld.com . They do not Scott numbers, but you can check the ( retail ) prices on their website

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 06/23/2022 10:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1187 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Library checkout is one way although some libraries keep only new sets and restrict them to non-circulating reference.

If you are truly only after Scott numbers (not "catalog value") Buying a years old Catalog will supply the numbers for stamps as long as the stamps were not issued after the catalog went to press.

If you are more detailed in what you are wanting, better specific examples can be provided but are you after Zululand, pre-1941 of different countries, just the US, just post 2000 US or what is on you mail today. There are quite a few ways to slice the information pile some less expensive than others and all far lower than the cost of current catalogs.

Mystic Stamp Company gives away paper catalogs for US stamps upon request and makes it available for free via download here: https://www.mysticstamp.com/Catalog.aspx
They are licensed to use Scott Numbers.

One last comment on the Scott Catalogs, they provide much information about how to identify the CORRECT Scott number, explaining perforations, watermarks and other necessary items to find one's way.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/23/2022 11:12 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35546 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My route:
I approached all local libraries, and put my name down to buy
out of date Catalogues.

Try Second hand bookstores, your local Stamp club.
Time juice up your imagination.

In my WW world, I don't need Scott over say 2012 and if I need numbers,
there are online lists to solve that one.
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   12:49 am  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you interested in US only or other/all countries? You can have my old US Scott catalog if you pay the shipping. I was fortunate this Christmas and my son bought me a new one.

You're not allowed to message, buy or sell here until you get 50 messages, but maybe Don can arrange something behind the scenes on this one (he has both our emails available to him as moderator). - Jim
Edited by jamesg - 06/24/2022 01:20 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35546 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very generous Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
684 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Use a smartphone like tens of millions of others? Use the Stamp Identifier app. I use the iOS version, I presume there's one for Android phones, too.
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigtoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jamesg, I would love to take you up on your generous offer. How do I proceed from?

Take care, stay safe and healthy,

Tom
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigtoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all of you for replying. Thay are all helpful to me.

Tom
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   1:11 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sent a note to staff to see if they would assist us in communicating.
Pillar Of The Community
1077 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a few have already said, buying an older set of Scott catalogues is the best possible way to go. Otherwise, you'll be constantly accommodating to whatever other half-baked system you adopt. Older can be a few years older or many years. It's possible to buy an entire set of Scott catalogues covering the entire world for as little as $10 a volume. Buy them one at a time if you wish. Buying cheaply gives you what you want and you can replace them later with more recent editions when you need to. There are even a few complete sets for around $50 or so -- if you're willing to ignore stamps since about the 1990s. The catalogue numbers will be the same.

I would never do a "work around" if I could get the real version for a modest amount of money. I'm currently using a 2016 edition of Scott, but an older edition would work just about as well. I collect worldwide stamps only up to 1975, but I also collect a couple dozen countries' much more recent stamps which is the only reason I need a somewhat "current" catalogue. Previously, I had a much older edition of Scott (maybe 20 years old), and it worked just about as well.

Have fun!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 762Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05