Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Empire Stamp Your Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 630Next Topic  
Valued Member
31 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add thecollectorman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This german empire stamp which your value ?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chesham85 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pennies as they are not rare. They were issued during the german inflation period during the early 1920's. Scott 251.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Chesham85 - 06/24/2022 8:42 pm
Valued Member
31 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thecollectorman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps in blocks is more valuable !
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4008 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stamps in blocks is more valuable !

Usually correct. However, in this case we have 6 times a few pennies plus a bit more, so let's say 25 cents. Perhaps not even that, in the condition shown.
Pillar Of The Community
606 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Into the bulk common shoeboxes without a moment pause for me lol. As stated, pennies at best in terms of monetary value. Drop it in a stock book along with similar items and enjoy the aesthetic.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chesham85 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even as a mint block they are still worth pennies. I have many identical blocks as they are nearly always included in Germany lots. The block would be worth more, dollars, if they were postally used.
Edited by Chesham85 - 06/26/2022 12:13 am
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some from that inflationary era that are valuable, but in used condition, and to the point where some may have tried to forge fake cancellations, and postmarks. I have a lot from that era, not a shoebox full however, and they're all mint, and therefore worthless. They're not from during the German empire, but from the Weimar republic rather, 1919-1933.

Personally, I prefer the period when things had started to settle down, 1926-27...

I just made a quick scan and processing of a few inflationaries that I have...

I forgot about that used one, top-right, but I don't think it's worth anything. Not all used copies are valuable. At top-center, that's a 20,000,000,000 Mark value, twenty billion.

It's almost unreal that those were actually used to mail something. That's the very reason why many of the used copies are more valuable than those mint.
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/26/2022 12:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8514 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At one point I had more of the overprinted German Inflation stamps in stacks of full sheets than I did US face and that is a LOT. In one multi-carton purchase there came a solid 2 inch stack of complete sheets that were all stuck into one big brick. To them dumpster they went. They all came along for the ride in bulk purchases and they all went out the door to fluff up my consigned lots.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5976 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the 1970's those German Inflation sheets sold at Compex in Chicago for a dollar per full sheet . That is one cent per stamp . Even when you buy bulk lots now you end up it thousands of these type of stamps .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
771 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of them were taken home as souvenirs during the war but I believe most were picked up by dealers at face during the mid to late 20s, since face was essentially zero. :)
Valued Member
491 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(Not to discourage) But as others have said - Availability and condition.
Do you have others?

On a positive note, if you did not have one of those, your German collection would not be complete.

Below is an as issued pack of ten sheets (100 per) including original rusty staple.

Was part of a two bankers' box stamp and cover almost give-away from goodwill.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 630Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05