Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hong Kong Kvi Shades

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 210Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3430 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   06:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
have noticed differences in shades in these KGVI issues. Scott does not list any in standard or classic but SG does.

For the 50c, the left could be SG purple and the right could be reddish purple (l would say scarlet)

For the 20c, the only shades are rose red and scarlet vermillion. The right 20c looks scarlet vermillion but the left 20c does not have enough red to be either so likely just a poor life.

Thoughts?

Send note to Staff
Al

Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Identifying used KGVI stamps from Hong Kong can be really challenging.
First, there were many printings with variations in the colors and in some cases perforation and chalk or substitute (ordinary) paper.

None of the catalogs list all the printings (luckily), so you might have two unused stamps that vary in color but are still the same catalog listing. If those stamps are used, the color might have also been affected by exposure in the mail.

So with that in mind, I have scans from my collection that might help you. They are based on the Commonwealth Catalogue (Murray Payne), but I also included the Stanley Gibbons and Scott numbers on the page.

The 20c has two listings in both Commonwealth and Gibbons, but there were six printings from 1948 until 1952. Since you asked about Gibbons I will use their descriptions: SG 148 - Scarlet-Vermilion, and SG 148a - Rose-Red. If you have both stamps, the Rose-Red one will be a paler color compared to SG 148.

The 50c is more complicated because it was in use from 1938 until the early 1950's. There were 13 printings from 1938 until 1953. Commonwealth and Gibbons both list four of them. Here are the Gibbons descriptions:
SG 153 - Purple - Perf 14 - Unused stamps typically have a creamy gum and the paper appears thin when viewed against black paper compared to the other printings.
SG 153a - Deep Magenta - Perf 14.5 x 14 - forget the color. Just check the perfs. This is one of the Bradbury, Wilkinson printings after De La Rue was bombed.
SG 153b - Reddish-Purple - Perf 14 - Unused stamps tend to have a clear gum. There is more than one color shade for this stamp. Identify the other Perf 14 issues first and if it is not one of them, it is probably this one.
SG 153c - Bright Purple - Perf 14 - Chalk Paper. If you can't identify the chalk paper look at the back. The gum might tend to be whiter than the other issues and the paper will tend to appear thicker with an opaque watermark that is not as visible as the other issues. There were eight printings on chalk paper, so you will find some variation in colors if you have multiple issues.
Shown below are two scans showing the stamps from my collection so you have some reference. I had to rework the numbers because both Commonwealth and Gibbons changed the numbers from what they were when I created the page back in the 1980's. I hope this helps.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Edited by KGVIStamps - 06/25/2022 09:51 am
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will go out on a limb and suggest that your 20c stamps appear to be SG 148 and 148a, with the rosey one to the right, but the left stamp is probably a bit of a changeling in color.
The 50c appear to be SG 153b and SG 153c.
Unfortunately two of them are a little beaten up.
Used stamps from Hong Kong are pretty easy to buy on eBay for a very low price. I find them a fun to sort group if you don't mind a little frustration.

If you don't want to sort these stamps, or are missing something, I have a large stock of both unused or used King George VI Hong Kong stamps for sale on my website. They are identified by Commonwealth, Gibbons and Scott numbers. There are no pictures on the site, but if you select Order and fill out the order form for anything you want to see I will scan them for you with no obligation.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Edited by KGVIStamps - 06/25/2022 10:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3430 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.
Al
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 210Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05