Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Fake Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 610Next Topic  
Valued Member

Cyprus
50 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nicos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Someone offered me these two stamps for $2,500
I feel confused
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10629 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   10:50 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a bit confused too.

When I feel that I do not know enough about something, I would never consider spending that kind of money. And if I was thinking of spending that kind of money, I would not rely upon an anonymous opinion in a public forum.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
608 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most important thing - have them expertized before you even think about purchasing. (At that price, my guess is that they are fake).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5976 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perforations are wrong .
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine copies are rare and auctioned at much higher values for the pair. If you don't know the history, they were withheld and mostly destroyed because they forgot to make Taiwan red.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perforations are wrong .

Please explain.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1245 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see the level of detail on my device, but ask for high resolution scans (500 dpi or better). Then look at the best magnification possible on your device and check for the printing method. If they are fakes (and I think they are), you should be able to see dot matrix printing. Follow centerstage98's advice and get a recent expertising certificate before purchase (watch out because these are being faked, too).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4615 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well redwoodrandy, you posted images with out comment. Did you intend to show the valid versions?

That said, if one compares the two different images, the one in the OP shows what is often the giveaway for a fraudulent stamp small or thin areas of printing which blur-out or otherwise lose detail. The black text along the left side of the stamp is quite clear in you photo, not so much in the OP. The text in the map of chine is also sharper in you image compared to the OP.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8028 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy, if you compare the two images, especially the top stamp in Redwoodrandy's picture with the stamp in the OP's picture you may come to the same conclusion I did: Two different sets of stamps.
I wished Redwoodrandy would post a comment so we know what is going on?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect China but I would say that the forgeries are line perforated and the genuine ones are comb perforated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Parcelpostguy, if you compare the two images, especially the top stamp in Redwoodrandy's picture with the stamp in the OP's picture you may come to the same conclusion I did: Two different sets of stamps.

There is only one set of stamps, not two. The question remains if redwoodrandy was showing the actual stamps as printed with the Scott numbers being 999A for the vertical format stamp and the horizontal format stamp shown is one of a pair of horizontal format stamps unnumbered in Scott but illustrated and explained right below the entry for 999A.

Scott indicates 999A was official on sale November 25th, but several post office started selling on November 24th and the issue ordered withdrawn due map errors on November 26th. Most examples it explains are repaired in some manner, but the catalog price for an unrepaired, undamaged mint copy is $135,000.00 and $80,000.00 for used. (Pricing from 2022 year catalog.)

The horizontal format stamp shown is valued for sound stamps at $1,150,000.00 but does not specify if that is the mint only price or both the price for mint or used sound copies.

In summary if the catalog price is as noted, being offer copies at $2500 for the pair, they are reproduction/fakes/forgeries/private reprints take your pick but do not spend your money.

Quote:
Someone offered me these two stamps for $2,500 I feel confused

So nicos, is the confusion due to the low price offered?
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Take a look at his other posts. They all have to do with forged classic stamps. Not the most traditional approach to the hobby.
Edited by Casey Magoo - 06/25/2022 8:16 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 610Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05