Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Straits Settlements Postmark Assistance

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 471Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1432 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Trainwreck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is Straits Settlements 5c King Edward VII of 1902 (Scott 96 / SG 113).

I'm having no luck identifying the location in the postmark. There seem to be two letters missing at the beginning and one letter missing at the end (possibly an "A"). Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Robert

Edit: Hopefully fixed the wrong image problem.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Trainwreck - 06/27/2022 07:40 am

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1858 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tanjong pagar railroad station?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Just_fella - 06/26/2022 6:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1432 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Where would Tajong Pagar be? Singapore?

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1858 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1432 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again. Not sure that is it though. According to the article, the station opened in 1932.

Robert
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chesham85 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It cannot be railway station as Trainwreck noted it wasn't open until 1932. As it was a port previous to becoming a station perhaps it could be that?
Edited by Chesham85 - 06/26/2022 6:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1858 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Must have been too hasty
It was my error, sorry bout that
Edited by Just_fella - 06/26/2022 6:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1432 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tanjong Pagar could be it.

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35866 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Straits
all I see is Dominica.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1858 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe?

(Not mine)

Edited by Just_fella - 06/26/2022 9:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1858 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the Op

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1432 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I messed up. Used the same file name for two different images. I'll try to fix that.

Robert

Edit: I think I got it. At home, on one computer the image was correct, on the other it was wrong. Weird.
Edited by Trainwreck - 06/27/2022 07:42 am
Valued Member
Australia
121 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninhao to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having no luck identifying the location in the postmark. There seem to be two letters missing at the beginning and one letter missing at the end (possibly an "A"). Anybody have any ideas?

Appears this is Tanjong Pagar, Have a read on wikipedia about the history of Tanjong Pagar. Since 1600s, Tanjong Pagar, located between the docks and the town, was an enclave for the thousands of Chinese and Indian dock workers who had migrated to Singapore from the mid-19th century. With all the traffic between the docks and the town, Tanjong Pagar was also lucrative ground for rickshaw pullers awaiting clients. So prevalent was their presence that in 1904, the government established a Jinricksha Station at the junction of Tanjong Pagar Road and Neil Road.

Hope it helps.
Edited by ninhao - 06/27/2022 08:28 am
Valued Member
Australia
121 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninhao to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some of the postmarks from Tanjong Pagar from Queen Victoria, King Edward VII and King George V I found for your reference.

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 471Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05