Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crazy Response From Seller

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,316Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2986 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   08:43 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add eyeonwall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Item described as NH had disturbed gum. Tried to give the seller a chance to make it right by just using the Ask Seller a Question rather than hitting them with an official return.

Their response:

"sorry you aren't happy....the value in the stamps have little or nothing to do with the misperfed error. I trust you won't display this

item face down..... nuff said!"

scresources

'nuff said indeed.

On top of that they didn't combine postage, so I paid $1.25 for all 3 items (the other actually two being NH).

Here's where it gets even weirder. eBay is now listing the other two items as unpaid even though I paid for all 3 at he same time and even though they show the combined oder as being paid down below.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
80 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serf_tide to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You should handle combined shipping prior to payment. Don't complain to eBay about that. It's your job to protect yourself by messaging the seller and find out exactly how they will do it. But, if they have misrepresented the item, you should return it. Paying the return shipping will help remind them to represent the stamp correctly. If they don't give you a return shipping postage, wait 3 days and call/chat with eBay. eBay will force the return shipping postage. What will really happen is that the seller will get into conversation mode. You also have the power of negative feedback. You may not think it matters, but it does to the seller. eBay has a seller rating system which heavily weights negative feedback. Sellers care about it big time. This is one reason that they want positive feedback even on tiny sales.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
317 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   12:38 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Item described as NH had disturbed gum. Tried to give the seller a chance to make it right by just using the Ask Seller a Question rather than hitting them with an official return.
Sounds suspiciously like the stamps I received two days ago.
I won five lots from the same seller.

Two of the lots which were described as "Unmounted Mint", only 5/10 and 2/4 were actually unmounted.

The other three lots described as "Mostly Unmounted Mint" only 4/13, 1/8 and 2/8 were actually unmounted.

I would have assumed that at the very least slightly more than half the stamps would be MNH in a lot described as "Mostly Unmounted Mint".

Like eyeonwall I also first sent the seller a polite note to give him a chance to make it right. His response:
Just return for refund. Nigel
Not even an apology. So I filed an official return with eBay.

With one lot, it could be an error, but with five lots, then I think it is a case of deliberate deception, I will be leaving negative feedback.
Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4008 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would have assumed that at the very least slightly more than half the stamps would be MNH in a lot described as "Mostly Unmounted Mint".

I would have thought the same, until you start looking at new home pricing. When the sign says, "From the low $400's", what they are actually saying is $420 to $450". When the sign says, "From the mid-$400's", what they are actually saying is $460 to $485. Buyer beware ... as always. Glad that they are going to refund your money.
Valued Member
123 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Mostly" seems like a minefield of a description, I bet the seller never expected customer to actually count them and check that a technical majority met the description. I buy a lot of sport card lots/sets which are described "overall very good condition, some better, some worse". Usually about 90% worse and maybe 1% better. Although technically described correctly.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6580 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   3:33 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By any standard, "mostly" must mean 50% plus. In my descriptions, I'd use it for 75% or more.
Pillar Of The Community
4435 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Item described as NH had disturbed gum

Although we have no image to judge by, this does mix cause and effect.

The seller may have described this accurately and in good faith as "NH". Not all "disturbed gum" is caused by a hinge. I have numerous stamps with disturbed gum, which I know have never come close to a hinge. But I agree, the seller's response was not one to encourage repeat business.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
608 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who is the seller - or have I missed it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
982 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Buyers of stamps expect 'NH' to mean that there is no disturbance, no tropicalized gum, no toning, or even gum skips. TECHNICALLY, none of those are hinging, but the term NH has been generalized to mean that the gum is, essentially, pristine for the issue. If there are any other issues (DG, toning, tropicalized gum) they should be called out separately. Something described as 'never hinged disturbed gum' gives enough of a description for me to understand what to expect from the stamp.

Amateur (unknowing) or greedy (larcenous) sellers will see things differently. My rule of thumb on describing is: would I find this acceptable if **I** were the buyer? If not, I need to describe it differently. For the issue addressed in this thread, I would not find it acceptable as the buyer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2986 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   7:55 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"You should handle combined shipping prior to payment. Don't complain to eBay about that. It's your job to protect yourself by messaging the seller and find out exactly how they will do it. "

I can't combine shippimg, the seller has to do it. You are correct, I could have asked before bidding, but I think this is the forst time this has happened to me.

"Although we have no image to judge by"

All 4 stamps in the block are obviously disturbed. The seller either never bothered to turn it over, or he intentionally omitted mentioning it being disturbed.

"So I filed an official return with eBay.
With one lot, it could be an error, but with five lots, then I think it is a case of deliberate deception, I will be leaving negative feedback."

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I had he impression we have to choose between a return or leaving a negative, that eBay considers getting a refund to be a perfectly satisfying transaction.

"Who is the seller - or have I missed it?"

Its in my forst post.
Valued Member
Canada
317 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   9:10 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I had the impression we have to choose between a return or leaving a negative, that eBay considers getting a refund to be a perfectly satisfying transaction.

The "Leave Feedback" link is still active on my returns which are in process. I wonder whether eBay will cancel the refund if I leave feedback now?

Quote:
"Who is the seller - or have I missed it?"

In my case the seller is 8491nigel - with 2025 positives, and one negative 12 months ago.

Clive

Valued Member
Canada
317 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   8:09 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I had the impression we have to choose between a return or leaving a negative, that eBay considers getting a refund to be a perfectly satisfying transaction.

The "Leave Feedback" link is still active on my returns which are in process. I wonder whether eBay will cancel the refund if I leave feedback now?

I just left negative feedback for two of the five lots, they still show that a return has been initiated, it will be interesting to see what transpires.
Clive

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8517 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Their response:

"sorry you aren't happy....the value in the stamps have little or nothing to do with the misperfed error. I trust you won't display this

item face down..... nuff said!"

What strikes me most about the sellers response is the lack of respect. People that do not respect you will do whatever they feel will benefit them. They are selfish in that regard. The first ones to scream murder when they get the same treatment though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2986 Posts
Posted 07/17/2022   7:23 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After waffling about whether to file a return, I decided the seller deserved the pain, so I filed. I got another snarky response from the seller (which I will paste in below) and that was followed by a "Return Closed" message from eBay. When I clicked on "See return details" all it said was "This return is closed", nothing else. I am guessing I was too late to be awarded an automatic refund and the seller refused the return. Does anyne know how long the return window is?

This is the seller's response:

"I see your point, but for $.99 and minimal p&h [$1.25 per item] it's my opinion that you are too "picky" to even request a refund. Your request is "noise" level to me. I will accept negative feedback rather than the hassle of my making a full refund to you. HAPPY HUNTING, SAM"
Seller Id: scresources

[I the part in brackets]

So he got his negative feedback.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
982 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Almost makes me want to make a 99c purchase from this guy and leave (-) feedback. How about the rest of you? 20 or 30 negs ought to get his attention. Can I say that here??
Valued Member
459 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why anyone would risk negative feedback on a 99 cent item, makes no business sense at all.

The eBay feedback system may not be a great metric for buyers, but I can tell you as an occasional seller it motivates me to keep it 100% positive.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,316Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05