Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Desirability Of Binders, Folders And Books Associated With Modern Commemorative Issues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 467Next Topic  
Valued Member

408 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   06:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How desirable are binders, folders, and books associated with modern commemorative issues? For example, there is a custom binder with sheet protectors for the Celebrate the Century series. What percent more would you pay if the 10 sheets in this series were sold with the binder vs without the binder?

Is the average collector interested in such companion material when purchasing the associated sheet(s)?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8529 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO they actually deduct value. Most collectors will not collect and display their stamps/sheets in those heavy, costly to ship, non-archival binders. For myself, the binders end up in the dumpster.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see their appeal, but I prefer plain vario stock sheets.
Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   10:37 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
IMO they actually deduct value. Most collectors will not collect and display their stamps/sheets in those heavy, costly to ship, non-archival binders. For myself, the binders end up in the dumpster.

If the collector is interested in these "designer" items, he/she should definitely buy them in the secondary market, at a fraction of the original price. One of the biggest cons in philately is the marketing of designer packages that have no actual resale value.

John
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others. For me the binders and other items are nothing but sales gimmicks that add nothing but hype and cost to the item being sold, whether stamps or coins.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see the books as a philatelic collectible any more than I see stamp catalogs as collectible. However, there can be interesting history with in the books, be they Celebrate the Century, WWII and the like. Those I share with children for the "history" with the child noticing the history is reference on stamps.

Then again, I am interested in collecting a US #2179, the twenty cent Apgar but I am far more interested why Dr. Virginia Apgar showed up on a stamp and most interested in the Apgar score as the new family additions show up. For me, there is more to stamp collecting, philately, than just the little pieces of paper.

Edit: Regarding interesting stories behins some stamps, see my 16th post on this thread: http://goscf.com/t/81312&whichpage=1#742090 to learn why we have 3D, vinyl record, video CDs and other unusual stamps.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/30/2022 10:08 pm
Valued Member
96 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only purchased at steep discount a 2003 Stamp Yearbook (originally issue price $49.95 which adjusted for inflation is higher cost than present stamp yearbook). Loved the quality of the stamps and the information in the Stamp Yearbook was quite interesting. However, I do not see these as particularly collectible except in rare cases (such as the 2020 which only 13,000 were printed and sold).

They make great coffee table books w/o the stamps and I would think may be part of a fun gift package (with stamps) for the family of a newborn to keep as a momento. But otherwise, a pass most times unless purchased at a steep discount a few decades later.
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

This could lead to a self fulling prophesy. By destroying these items, they became rare and therefore over time possibly more desirable and collectable. After all, the the tastes and rules of collecting are always changing and evolving. At least, I hope they are.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3440 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see the issue as more an integration of the materials into a collection. They do not integrate well with unique packaging. One may want a duplicate set of stamps for the actual collection. For example for presentation booklet stamps one may have a complete booklet stored elsewhere with sheets or individual stamps from a second exploded booklet in the actual collection.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/26/2022 07:49 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 467Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05