Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Postage, 1940 To 1959

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,671Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1956, 3 bright carmine, the 250th birthday celebration of Benjamin Franklin...

1956, 3 black-brown...

1957, 3 rose-red...

That one serves only to remind me how much I dislike $10 bills. $1, $5, and $20 bills are all that's needed. When you "bust" a twenty, you want four fives, never two tens. Then, you don't need them at all these days, if you use cards, et al.

1957, 4 dark blue & deep carmine; "Old Glory", 48 stars still, a Giori-press printing, and issued on July 4th...

The Giori press was used to print stamps in more than one colour, simultaneously, the sheet printed in only one pass through the press. But there was a problem: the colours tended to smear into one another. The defect is not as evident in this instance, but present nonetheless...

Such would seem to become even more obvious in the 1960s.

1957, 6 blue, "AIR MAIL"...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, there are so many issues that I do not have, none from 1958, and that's my elder brother's birth-year, my only sibling. No, that's not why; by chance rather, fate.

In addition many of these issues are showing their gums. Over the decades, same has migrated to the fronts even, due to constant fluctuations of humidity and temperature; slowly, yet dynamically. That's why a lot of these images are so bright, as the light of the scanner had reflected off of their gums. Eventually, their gums will envelop, entomb them, all.
Pillar Of The Community
4585 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In addition many of these issues are showing their gums. Over the decades, same has migrated to the fronts even, due to constant fluctuations of humidity and temperature; slowly, yet dynamically. That's why a lot of these images are so bright, as the light of the scanner had reflected off of their gums. Eventually, their gums will envelop, entomb them, all.

I don't know how you are storing your stamps, but this just won't happen with steady cool, dark, and dry conditions.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, those stamps were like that when I got them back in the 1990s. Yes, if humidity and temperature are controlled, regulated, then the gums may not creep.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This design was ahead of its time. It could've been issued well into the 1960s, and beyond even...

1958, 7 blue, "AIR MAIL", and a plate-single...

Alaska was admitted to the Union on January 3, 1959...

1959, 7 dark blue, "AIR MAIL"...

Hawaii was admitted to the Union on August 21, 1959...

1959, 7 rose-red, "AIR MAIL"...

...an interim of only eight months.

Then, why this issue on the rolls, depicting a flag with 49 stars, and released on July 4th, just one month, and a little over a fortnight, before Hawaii was admitted...

1959, 4 ocher, dark blue & deep carmine...

Still, the stamp is beautiful, particularly how the number of stars within each row, the 49 altogether, afford quite the symmetrical, and usually unexpected, arrangement. Indeed, it is reminiscent of flags from the past...

There, much better now, although it still has a pulled perf...

Thank you for looking.
Edited by StampGuy64 - 07/05/2022 11:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reason being: a flag stamp had to be issued on July 4th of 1959, no ifs, ands or buts, yet Hawaii had not yet been admitted, so by the book.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,671Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05