Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Onion Domes And Other Magnificent Architecture

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 165Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1444 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today I noticed another unintentional sub-collection that was spread out among my other cards: Interesting architecture. I'm a sucker for Beaux Arts and Victorian gingerbread, and have picked up cards just because they looked neat. Fine architecture used to show up in unusual places -- including pumping stations and fish hatcheries. Here is a batch I sifted out.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
84 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff. Your fourth card shows "Saltair" near Salt Lake City, whose fortunes rose and fell along with the water level in Great Salt Lake. There were a few successors to this "pleasure dome" one of which still stands.

Thanks for sharing them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1444 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Saltair Pavilion has long fascinated me. The original building burned in 1925, but there have been two pavilions since then. I think the one still standing that you referred to would be Saltair III. Here's another view of the original.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1444 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I dug up some more...

This last building still exists in Beverly Hills! It was carefully moved from Culver City in the 1930s. It's now known as the Spadena House at the corner of Carmelita Dr. and Walden Ave. I used to drive past it when I lived in L.A. and it always brought a smile.
Edited by GregAlex - 07/08/2022 12:10 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1444 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And let's not forget interior architecture. Hotel lobbies were often showcases for ornamentation.

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 165Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05