Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Practices For Trimming Self-Adhesive Backing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 356Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been slowly updating a collection I had put aside in the late 1980s. Starting in the mid-1990s, I'm encountering an increasing number of self-adhesive stamps. Some of them have excessive amount of self-adhesive backing on them, and do not fit the spaces in my album well. In some cases, the remaining backing is cut crookedly.

Are there best practices for trimming this backing, and for trying to achieve relatively straight lines when doing so? Perhaps this is as simple as taking an Exacto knife to these pieces, but I wanted to check to see if there are better ways to go about this.

Thoughts?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8018 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This subject has been talked about here on this forum - try the "search" function available on every page.
Having said that, you can always try your Mount-cutter?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use my mount cutter and trim to about 1-2mm around all sides. Just make sure that you hold the stamp firmly so you don't accidently cut into it.
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't really mounted any of my self adhesive. They just sit in a drawer inside the large glassines provided by the post office when I purchased them. Most of what I have are either entire booklets (if you want to call them that) or in sheet form (the entire sheet or mini sheet).

For coils, I would buy enough where I could use the end stamps for postage, then isolate a single with 2mm+ backing on either side, leaving me with a strip of 9 with the plate number in the center position and also backing on either side. The backing can easily be trimmed using my mount cutter. I know the strip of 9 might be overkill, but it consistent with what I used to do when buying the fractional price stamps, e.g. 7.1c or 8.4c, where I had to buy in multiples of 10. Back then I would buy 10 with the plate number in position 5 or 6 and then use the end stamp as the single, leaving me with a strip of 9 with a centered plate number.

For the newer booklet types with stamps on front and back, I could see myself leaving a block of 4 or whatever happens to be the unique set of stamps and use up the rest on regular mail. Then I could trim what remains and mount with the backing still on the stamps. Perhaps I just use the stamps on either the back or the front and mount the rest as "booklet pane".
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do appreciate the thoughts on this. Perhaps, as PMStamp suggests, the mount cutter is a solid way to go. Thank you everyone.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 356Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05