Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Like Your Opinions On These Two Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,305Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rb6179 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Scott 233 & 233a. Before I send the one out for certification, I would like to hear your opinions on these two stamps. I believe the first one to be a 233, the other to be a 233a. Thank you. Roy

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't waste your money. Neither stamp is a Scott 233a. Try PF Search and Siegel Power Search to see examples of the correct shade.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   10:29 am  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bill,

Does the block at the forefront appear likely? It seems different than the other specimens I have (several other blocks/strips as well.)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9075 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8297 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just compare them to a one cent Columbian. If it is not about the same shade, then it's not the error.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I have, in varying states of decomposition...

You can see the red within the ultramarine, making the blue base purplish.

No, that's not of my own, at right, of course.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   10:00 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me, some of the normal ultramarines have a paper that has a slight pinkish cast.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even if you have trouble with color differences, there is one easy way to eliminate most non-233a stamps. I was taught a long time ago to "look at the clouds". Note that the clouds in the 233a scan are much darker and much better defined than those in the normal shade.
Learn More...
United States
10987 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   10:43 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that tip Bill.

I would add that 'motivated perception' is often encountered in philately. 'Motivated perception' has been the subject of psychological research for many years. And it has been proven that humans are very likely to perceive what they want to see or hear. Add some imagination about how an ink color may have come about, post it in a public forum, and a new philatelic urban legend is born.

This is why it can be worthwhile to submit stamps to experts, they are a much more objective set of eyes than our own. Never 100% trust your own eyes (paraphrasing Obi-Wan Kenobi). And never, ever trust that images posted online have not been manipulated.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36828 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Motivated reasoning is a cognitive bias which describes our tendency to accept what we want to believe more readily and with less scrutiny than that which we don't want to believe.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's have a sing-a-long...

Everybody wants a 4 blue, 4 blue, 4 blue,
Everybody wants a 4 blue, in singles and plate-blocks!
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have these as well. Their debut at the Post Office had passed me by, hence, I got mine from a seller, not too many years afterwards. I broke all of them up...

I can still see the red, the purple, within the ultramarine of the 4-cent. The blue of the 1-cent is a bit deep, blackish, and not unlike that of 1892. I think that the shade of the blue of the 4-cent error is somewhat lighter; a true, brighter blue.

The colours seem to be the same as those in 1892 within the re-prints, but they were somewhat stingy with the ink, in addition to a somewhat diminished saturation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   7:10 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'motivated perception' - there isa black trees variety of the 25c Yosemite (2280e0. When I look at one, my mid sees dark green instead of black because it is expecting green.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The primaries...

...blue, red and yellow, and with blue as the boss, followed by red, then yellow, however that not being in an alphabetical order.

You can add all manner of things to those three, and make magic; secondaries...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   9:21 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and there are pure compounds that are green
Learn More...
United States
10987 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   9:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If we head into mixing colors/inks we are going to have to get our nomenclature straight because 'shade' means adding black to an existing color. I think that the majority of folks here instead use the word 'shade' to simply mean any different color/hue. Painters, printers, and folks who are responsible for mixing/making the color mediums always use the term 'shade' to mean adding black to a color and 'tint' means adding white to a color. It might be best to steer clear of color theory/color science and mixing of colors so we can continue to use 'shade' the way the majority of folks here use it.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,305Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05