Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Santa - New Years Day1930 & 634A

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 288Next Topic  
Valued Member
489 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Santa Clause Claus- New Year's Day,1930 & 634A

Bit early for Christmas related but thought this fun enough to share.

Was in a box of Santa & Christmas related just got off of eBay.

So, your guess, by happenstance or planned by a collector??

pat

Send note to Staff
Edited by patg23 - 07/06/2022 5:47 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7986 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All but guaranteed to be happenstance. My info is that the type II stamps were issued in 1929, but did not get into the catalog until 1936.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7986 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I once came across a 599A that had been reperforated in an attempt to turn it into a 579. Since that catalogs a lot less, I assumed that this occurred before it was listed.
Edited by revcollector - 07/06/2022 5:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4420 Posts
Posted 07/06/2022   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking through the Scott catalogs as revcollector was posting, with essentially the same results.

The Scott (all-the-world-in-one-volume) annual catalog first lists 599A and 634A in the 1938 edition (but not yet in 1937). Similarly and not inconsistently, the U.S. Specialized catalog adds the listing sometime between 1936 and 1939.

Granted there is usually a lag between the discovery and acceptance and publication of new varieties such as this. I do not know when the Type II's were first discovered/publicized, but I agree with revcollector, the use of this stamp this early was chance.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
265 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   03:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Input error.
Edited by Wilding mad - 07/10/2022 03:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8475 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO the entire cover is contrived including the cancel. The cursive address appears to be ballpoint pen which pretty much rules out 1930. Perhaps the creator had this poorly centered 634A and wanted to create an interesting EDU.
Pillar Of The Community
4420 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam,
Sorry, but completely wrong. While fulfilling a philatelic request, the cover is fully genuine to 1930.
Santa Claus handled lots of philatelic mail in this era.
Here is the same handstamp device in use in 1928, and in a non-standard color to boot:

And the replacement device obtained sometime during 1930, used on a Christmas card showing the Santa Claus post office.
Edited by John Becker - 07/10/2022 09:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3999 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a link to my older item (1931). It seems there are quite a few out there.

http://goscf.com/t/19362#235520
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8475 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John - This emoji is for you:

PS: For those of you that don't know, John is an emoji connoisseur.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 288Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05