Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Stamp For Every Country Album

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,691Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Posted 07/08/2022   04:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kenstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hello all. sorry if this is a repeat but felt as if it needs to be known. a stamp for every country, stamp album; comprehensive. by john knudsen. it deals with stamps from a to z. a page for each country from the first stamp issued to the present. also does territories, possessions, and other stamp issuing entites, as a world wide collector I find this album very good and am enjoying it very much, so thank you john knudsen. regards ken
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 07/08/2022   06:15 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Ken. I appreciate the kind words.

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 07/08/2022   06:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to John for posting his AlbumEasy source code on the AlbumEasy website. Using the source code, one can create a general worldwide album or other variation.

I have been focusing adding a few more political periods (colony, independence, occupation, etc.) with descriptive information and provisions for more than one issue for a given period.

This is one of my mock ups as I collect information. This variation uses the quadrille pattern feature. It prints lighter than it looks. I need to get through a number of pages to get an idea on how I can format the new information. It could be used as a "number ones" album. This helps we learn world history.

For descriptions, I have been using Linn's online entities information and the First Issues Collector Club's club website.

Al
Edited by angore - 07/08/2022 06:37 am
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 07/08/2022   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this book in paperback and I have a question. Since the pages are bound will placing stamps on every page lead to the pages/book fan out from the extra layers of stamp?

I really do like the book, just not in its current format. I haven't used this yet and have been trying to figure out if there is a way I can safely deconstruct/cut out the pages and place them in 3-ring binders. Has anyone else taken the book apart and put them in 3-ring binders? I know that I can use an x-acto knife but I worry that the pages will be different widths and I don't have access to a paper cutter to make them all the same width. I'm not about to measure each one and cut them by hand either.

And no, I'm not about to wear my printer out and spend lots of money on ink to reprint these. This thing is over 500 pages. Any other suggestions?

I just thought of another question. This book is on what we in the adult coloring book community call "cheap Amazon paper." Is it acid free? Will it hurt stamps over time?
Edited by l2y - 07/08/2022 2:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
795 Posts
Posted 07/08/2022   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since the pages are bound will placing stamps on every page lead to the pages/book fan out from the extra layers of stamp?

Oh, most definitely.
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 07/08/2022   6:45 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The printed book ( Amazon) version is actually 273 pages in length (single sided - the backs are blank). The print your own version (AlbumEasy site and StampSmarter site) is 268 pages in length (single sided - ditto).

There is quite a difference in the actual number of pages as outlined above compared to 500...

I would also point out that any bound album will be expanded in width when stamps are added. However, in an ASFEC album, the number of stamps on each page are generally significantly less than in a bound Scott Album, for example. Would that result in the same amount of bulging as a full Scott International Junior Album, for example? Or less? I honestly don't know.

Different strokes for different folks...

John
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6864 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   04:41 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To make an obvious point, before using a bound album, put aside your Hawid/Showgard mounts.
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   06:08 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is one of my mock ups as I collect information. This variation uses the quadrille pattern feature. It prints lighter than it looks. I need to get through a number of pages to get an idea on how I can format the new information.

Angore,

I like it!

The new quadrille pattern feature opens up many new possibilities for AlbumEasy users to create pages on the fly...

AlbumEasy rocks!

John
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2118 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@angore,
Nice page. In Europe, however, no one would consider the Baltic States as being Northern Europe. It is nowhere near the most northern lattitude of the European continent. It, commonly, is considered Eastern Europe. However, geagraphically it is quite centrally located. It also is a sensitive subject as no traditional 'Eastern European' country considers itself to be that. The association with the backward European area controlled by the USSR is too strong.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@NSK, the country location description came from Wikipedia. Encyclopedia Britannica states "northeastern Europe". I like stating it is the most northern of the Baltic States.

I am also considering grouping by continent following the Stamp Atlas definition but even that is debate for some countries such as the island areas between the main continent of Asia and Australia. There are various lines (Webber) but Australasia can also work. There are a few countries that would be considered trans-continent.

Al
Edited by angore - 07/09/2022 07:55 am
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capthickey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The National Postal Museum in Washington, DC has an informative website on international philately that includes information on current and precedent countries, as well as other stamp issuing entities. Most of the descriptions are sourced from Linn's Stamp News.
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   3:34 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The National Postal Museum in Washington, DC has an informative website on international philately that includes information on current and precedent countries, as well as other stamp issuing entities. Most of the descriptions are sourced from Linn's Stamp News.

Indeed. Most people start with the following Album:

https://stamps.org/Portals/0/albums...-Country.pdf
(from 2014)

The problem is that no two people will ever agree on what an ASFEC Album should contain,
or should not contain, not to mention how it should be presented
. I chose alphabetical -
others choose geographical. Again, no solution will make everyone happy.

Therefore, it seems to me, the ideal solution is to have an easy editable solution so that
each collector can decide what is best. My editable AlbumEasy source files are located
at the AlbumEasy and StampSmarter web sites. Anyone can download the source files. It does
require some knowledge of how to use AlbumEasy files - but that only takes an hour or two.
AlbumEasy generates a PDF album page file from simple text source files.

Others like the idea of a hardcover/paperback single volume that they can place on their bookshelf.

The Amazon books (Comprehensive hardcover/paperback, Simplified hardcover/paperback) were
designed to fill that need. They are obviously not editable! No bound book is editable.

John
Learn More...
United States
10986 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   5:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am currently working on a 'A Stamp For Every Country Album' for myself; I can share it if others are interested. While it is similar layout to some of the existing albums, it is functionally different. I have added user editable text blocks which allow anyone to add/edit the existing verbiage on each page. You simply open the PDF file and edit directly in the PDF in your PDF reader, no special app or coding needed.

For example, you can add text under each stamp with a nice description for the stamp you have selected to use. Or if desired, you can add text for things like 'Catalog Number, Value, and Quantity Issued. The 'default' for this field is blank (it does not have to be populated if desired).

There are other editable fields such as the text under the Country name. The 'default' text is populated with the standard info such as population and size.

I also use an editable field under the stamp placement block. This allows folks who might like to add something like a catalog number and have it hidden under the stamp itself.

This approach allows you to customize the album pages without having to write code and spend large amounts of time in other apps.

NOTE: This is a PDF 'form' so it is best to download the PDF file and view/edit in your desktop PDF reader. (NOT in your browser; trying to use your browser requires all kinds of things to be configured to display and use a PDF 'form'.) I also recommend Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) when using PDF forms (it may work in other Readers but you are on your own).

You can download a Demo (just three countries but it will give you the idea of the functionality) here https://stampsmarter.org/features/d...emoPages.zip

Download and save the zip file to your device. Open the zip and copy the DemoPages.pdf to your desktop. Open Adobe Reader and then open the the DemoPages.pdf. The editable fields should be highlighted as shown here

Don
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   5:29 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice, Don!

John
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 07/24/2022   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic_Paper
ROFL
You made my day. Now I look back on this question, it was kinda of stupid.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6133 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a fun project ......some of us old timers who already collect worldwide got a 50 or 60 year head start over you .

The issue all of you are going to have is with "what is a stamp " things like liberated area's ,princely kingdoms , city states ,private government organization and other stamp issueing bodies .
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,691Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05