Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Attending A First Day Ceremony

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 414Next Topic  
Valued Member

220 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Perf10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've never attended a first day of issue ceremony, but doing so remains on my bucket list. I know nothing of the process. Does one need to get a ticket, or just show up? Is the ceremony usually at the main post office of the indicated zip code? What time does it start? Are there usually special postal services available, such as a unique hand cancel of covers? Experienced advice welcome.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This probably won't help much, but here goes anyway. I had planned to attend the first day ceremony for the Message Monsters issue. But I scoped out the location on the day before. It was held in an outside area a couple of miles from the main post office ... a rather small area at that. And one for which major street repairs were being made. Traffic was limited to a single lane in the north & east directions. Not wanting to be caught in a traffic quagmire, I decided to take a pass, even though there might not ever be another first day ceremony in the city. I did later read that they brought in a group of children who attended the local elementary school a few blocks from the ceremony site. This was for the singing of the national anthem. Nothing was ever said about needing a ticket to attend.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No tickets usually needed just show up. Unless the crowd exceeds what the USPS expected, all will get a FD Ceremony Program which includes a FD cancel typing the new stamp to the program. Also you usually have the ability to take created covers with the new stamp for hand cancelling with hand back or off to the mail stream.

https://stamps.org/great-american-s...w/first-days discusses the topic and when and where the Pony Cars first day ceremony will be. I will see you there if you attend.

The USPS website usually has information for the ceremonies as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Per Parcelpostguy, your mileage may vary when looking to get a program. The ceremonies I remember held in San Francisco only had about a hundred folding chairs at best. Programs were pre-placed on the chairs with none for any standees or late arrivals. So you had to show up early; at one, I arrived fifteen minutes before the start time and all chairs and programs were taken.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3100 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   7:54 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The ceremonies are usually held at some place related to the stamp subject. While they often don't require a ticket, sometimes they are held inside a place hat does require a ticket and then you usually have to make arrangements in advance.

I don't think there is a standard starting time.

After the ceremony, the dignitaries that spoke during the ceremony often will sign programs at a table set up for this, but there is a mad scramble to get in line as it takes time to get thru the line and sometimes one of the dignitaries wil leave early before the line is finished.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot a Pony Cars image before.

As eyeonwall mentions about FD location, the Pony Cars are being issued at APS' GASS (Great American Stamp Show) it is only one mile to the California Auto Museum.

Good thing the weight limit for US mail is 70 Lbs or there might be a few folks trying to mail a 1964 1/2 Mustang with Pony Forever Stamps.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 414Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05