Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Cancellation On Rb30p

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 833Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
692 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   12:37 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 1typesetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Picked this up recently and I am trying to identify the cancellation.

It appears to begin with W.W. and end in S.S.

I can't find anything in the Battleship Desk Reference to identify this cancel.

Any help?

Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   12:56 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you run the image through PostmasterGS's website tool to hopefully isolate the cancel a bit more? Stamps where the cancel ink and stamp ink are similar are a b*tch to deal with, e.g., blue cancels on 2nd issue revenues.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/10/2022 12:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   2:45 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did that but it wasn't much help. Everything in between the two first letters and the two last letters is so light it didn't get picked up.
Learn More...
United States
10967 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote:
..Stamps where the cancel ink and stamp ink are similar are a b*tch to deal with...

Agreed. I typically do not burn time even trying to split out the color channels if the stamp ink color and the cancel color are close to the same.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Concur that trying to split the purple cancel from a purple stamp is an exercise in futility. To me -- and knowing nothing of these issues and their cancels -- it looks more like a 5- or 6-letter cancel beginning with a single W and ending with a single S that's been applied twice.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 07/10/2022 4:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about this one applied twice?
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 4 was typically used on chewing gum. Wrigley?
Ron Lesher
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had no luck with W.J.W & S
Wrigley seems to be WWJ (William Wrigley Junior)

Longshot guess ?
American Chicle Co
(A.C & Co)

Some reading
https://www.americanstampdealer.com....aspx?id=379
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WJW&S = W.J. White & Son Chewing Gum of Cleveland, OH.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Success from endeavor
Well done Postmaster / Revenuermd
Led to the ID.

The William J White / Chicle connection..........

In 1880, White happened upon a barrel of chicle (a natural gum tapped from certain Mesoamerican trees) some reports state that a local grocer gave him the barrel after mistakenly receiving it in inventory and found through his kitchen-based experimentation that mixing corn syrup and sugar with chicle latex allowed the chicle to absorb and hold flavors.

In 1890, White founded the American Chicle Co., which operated two plants in Cleveland, employing hundreds.

https://northcoastantiquarian.com/2...ng-gum-king/
Edited by rod222 - 07/10/2022 10:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   07:24 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster,

I think you got it. Looking more closely it very possible it's your cancel struck twice one slightly to the right of the first one.
Looking at the second W. there appears to be an additional spot of purple just to it's right which I would say is the J.
Also the date at the bottom has 5 digits. So yes a double strike!

I'm buying that story and sticking to it.

Thanks to all.

Tom
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8283 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not believe the first cancel is a double strike. There seems to be no evidence of doubling of the second line of the cancel. Even though it's light, there is enough there that doubling should be noticeable.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revcollector,

If you're talking about the ACCO line, I respectfully disagree. You can see the tops of two A's, and 5 semi-circles that would be the tops of the C's and O's if doubled and shifted.
Edited by PostmasterGS - 07/11/2022 09:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   09:54 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PostmasterGS,

Nice! How did you do that?

Tom
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I excerpted the relatively clean copy of that cancel from the margin copy I posted above. Then I overlaid it on yours twice in Photoshop and recorded the screen as I turned those overlays on and off.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1897 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PMGS,
Can I send you a message through the forum?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 833Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05