Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Feedback And Suggestions For Capturing Flyspecking Images

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,133Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essay_proof to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Rev, what struck me is how the photographs reveal ink depth/thickness. That kind of dimensionality is usually lost with scanning.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lackemacher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use the Epson V500 as well but never go beyond 1200 dpi. I think someone told me that above that the computer interprets the scan. I can say that the Smithsonian scans of proof sheets are no where the quality of the photos they used to provide. ie the R70 foreign entry appears as a solid line on the photo and only as a string of dots on the scan. Obviously I don't understand any of the workings here, Dick Celler came over one day and told me what buttons to push but it works for me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   07:23 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some refinement. The circular polarizing filter didn't do diddly squat, so I went out and bought me a poor man's diffuser: a white fabric lamp shade from Goodwill for $2.99. It definitely changes the nature of the image, but I'm not entirely sure it's for the better. It eliminates the reflectivity from the surfaces and makes it a more 2D image, but there's also a bit of lost detail in my opinion.

While I aesthetically prefer the non-diffused images, I think that when it comes to pointing out plate varieties the diffused images may be easier to dissect; fewer distractions.

No differences in camera position, settings, or focus; the only difference is placement of the lamp shade around the stamp.

Which surface characteristics do you prefer and why?

Note: Different stamp from the above images.

Non-diffused (no lamp shade). Full image (will need to click to view full size):

Diffused (lamp shade around stamp).

Crop 1 not diffused (no lamp shade):

Crop 1 diffused (with lamp shade):

Crop 2 not diffused (no lamp shade):

Crop 2 diffused (with lamp shade):

Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lackemacher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev. Crop 2 no lamp shade clearly shows doubling of lines above and below the word "TWO" , not so much with the lamp shade.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,133Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05