Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany 1905-1919 Scott #92-95 Pre War Vs. War Printing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 350Next Topic  
Valued Member
Germany
207 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add LordInVader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all Stamp Masters,

I was looking over my Germany collection and noticed that some of my carmine 1m stamps were brighter, and had much sharper and crisper printing detail than the others.

I also noticed that the 3 nice looking ones have a date of 1911 on the cancel.

Tried to find it on Scott, which had the note that

"Nos. 92-95 exist only from a wartime printing. The 1m-5m also exist perf 14 1/4-14 3/4 (26x17 holes) in both pre-war and wartime printings. Both of these printings are much more expensive than Nos. 92-95. See the
A15 Scott Classic Specialized Catalogue for
detailed listings."

Can someone provide more details on this?
What exactly is the difference, since Scott does not seem to provide an example of the differences.
And how much more valuable are the pre-war printings truly?

Attached you will find my 3 nice looking ones (on top), contrasted with the in comparison rather bland ones.

Multiple differences can be seen.

Are these the Pre War printings?

Send note to Staff
Edited by LordInVader - 07/14/2022 5:51 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8095 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! If you are in Germany collecting Germany, how come you are relying on Scott? Michel has all the answers to your questions?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Germany
207 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I came from the US, started over there, and never really got into Michel...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8762 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott Specialized notes that the Pre-war Printing stamps have "bright colors, sharp impressions, high quality (often surfaced) paper, white gum". Wartime printings have "dark colors, indistinct impressions, yellow gum.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as Germany is concerned, the Scott catalog provides a minimum of information and a flawed numbering system, causing confusion for collectors who use it / rely on it for this area.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
730 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I came from the US, started over there, and never really got into Michel...

No excuse . Anyone even remotely serious about Germany needs a Michel. Scott is garbage for pre-1946 German issues.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8762 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The same can be said for any Country specialization outside of the US which Scott is very good at. Still, even the US can be drilled down into through many other resources. Scott is rudimentary at best for Russia as an example and Michel does far better, but Zagorsky and others do better still.

Let us remember what Scott's catalogs are meant to be, reference works that cover the basics of every stamp issued with a good amount of detail, if we are being honest. I never want to see a 156 volume Scott catalog published.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LordinVader, the top 3 stamps are Michel 94 A I, issued in 1905 and are engraved. The bottom stamps are Michel A113, issued in 1920 and are offset printed. The difference is the offset issue has flags on the roof of the building, the engraved does not.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2619 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this -- Germania Identification Aid.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Germany
207 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   03:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the information, especially to PostmasterGS for the Germania Identification Aid.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05