Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where To Find The Correct Equipment For Detecting Tagged US Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,023Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add p0506img to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have read through many posts about US tagging but I can't seem to find the right light. I have purchased 2 different Short UV (the latest 4W Uv254nm) for about $50 but it doesn't seem to help me. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's just not the right light. I even try working in the dark and it doesn't help. I would really appreciate someone's help about where to get a good light or what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8179 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One place is this forum. On each page you can find a "search" button, on the right top close to where your login is. If you use the words "Ultra-Violet" or "tagging detection" you will find several pagesof useful information.
To help a bit, your 4watt unit is probably a battery operated unit. I have poor results with those, so I use a plug-in model. Mine is a 16 Watt unit, and this has lasted me for several years.
A battery operated unit is OK for using at exhibitions, but the battery is a weak point. They really need to be in peak shape, and usually rechargable ones are not going to do the job

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 07/14/2022 9:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a picture of your light. Some have a clear lens versus a purple filter.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1370 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter is correct about batteries being the weak spot. If you do use rechargeable batteries, dont buy the cheap ones at 800 up to 1500 mah (milliamphour). Obtain the high capacity 2400 or higher mah ones and charger as they will give you much better life and service.

I also use a 16" desk lamp with a longwave black light poster lamp and is extremely useful in doing a large amount at once. Same flourescent lamp tube in use for more than 30 years now. I use the 4" portable for shows or at sales. Also have the desk unit with the 4" long and short wave hidden under a canopy that can be used either/ or in combination and it has a magnifier glass also.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3569 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my experience, it is fairly easy to detect the presence of tagging on US stamps in a darkened room with a shortwave lamp. US stamps are very responsive under UV. Now, seeing after glow is a challenge. The 4 watt lights work best in darkened areas but they should be able to give you a yes/no for normally tagged stamps. The usually greenish glow is fairly obvious but do not confuse paper luminescence as tagging.

If you visit Mark's tagging database hosted by stampsmarter, you will get and idea of what you should see.

https://stampsmarter.org/features/TaggingView.html
Al
Edited by angore - 07/15/2022 06:35 am
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Longwave UV lamps don't work for US tagging. Many foreign stamps tagging respond to LW UV. LW UV is good for determining paper and luminescent ink US varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post pictures or give the Scott numbers for the stamps you are examining? There are some without tagging. For example modern US counterfeits lack tagging.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add p0506img to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for all of the responses. I have read most of what is on the forum. Where do I get a better lamp? This is what I have, and yes, it is battery powered and not very bright.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8179 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of places that sell UV equipment, but I got my lamps from UVtools

Peter
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tiger Dude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have that exact lamp, tagged stamps stand out like a beacon. They do not show up at all through Scott or Showgard mounts, you have to take them out.
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is the opening for the light clear or purple? If clear that won't work very well.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add p0506img to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tiger, I've taken them out of the mounts with little success...maybe I have a dud! If by opening, mstocky2 you mean above where the light comes out, it is clear when it is off.
Peter, I ordered one (battery powered but 10W) from UVTools...thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1948 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You made a good decision going to UV Tools

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They do not show up at all through Scott or Showgard mounts, you have to take them out.

Emphasis added so this important information is not overlooked. Other mounts pre-set in "hingeless albums" should be checked first as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8179 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
p0506img. Glad you found a good one. A little worried that it is battery operated. AC is by far better, if you can find a power supply for your new unit and try to make sure you have fresh batteries.
Also, with regards to the 4 watt job. I think you have a long wave unit there. A short wave lamp should have a blackish cover over the bulb. And please be very careful - do NOT look into the light!

Peter
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the market for a UV lamp. The product at UVTools.com looks like a good balance of quality and value. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I'm tempted but I may wait for p0506img to report back on how this product works out.
Edited by BrownstownSoul - 07/16/2022 6:34 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,023Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05