Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where To Find The Correct Equipment For Detecting Tagged US Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,019Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8170 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UV Tools is an excellent company. I have bought several of their lamps, and they all have been great.
The last one I bought was a 13 watt lamp, which was at the time not available. They substituted a 16 watt unit in its place at no extra cost. That sort of service is stellar in my opinion!

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The one you have with the clear opening is why you are not seeing the tagging. It should have a purple plastic/glass opening.
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petvet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same shortwave UV light that is pictured. It works well to determine if the stamp is tagged or not. Use the light only a few inches away from the stamp and in a darkened room for best results. I`ll use an AC powered unit when I want to determine the different kinds of tagging. The DC unit pictured is more difficult for determining course tagging, mottled tagging, etc.
There is no need for any colored cover (like purple) since the bulb is colored. However, my AC unit has a purple cover that slides back and forth to provide either SW or LW.
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petvet the purple lens is a filter and it you don't have it but have a clear one that is why you can't identify the tagging types you mentioned. Check the stampsmarter tagging DB. Almost all of the pictures were taken with the handheld unit I have. If you have a DC unit with a colored bulb (purple bulb), that is a LW unit. The bulbs used is the SW unit are clear germicidal bulbs that give off a broad spectrum of UV light. The purple lens filters the UV light to the SW frequency needed for US tagging.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add p0506img to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The new lamp I got from Ultraviolet Tools works great. It takes 3 D batteries. Thanks for the advice.
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 07/24/2022   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the report!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3565 Posts
Posted 07/24/2022   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, constantly turning on and off of the lUV tools light will shorten the life - making it harder to start up. If you are doing a lot of stamps, just leave it for the session. Easier to replace batteries than getting a replacement bulb. It is not super easy to change.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/24/2022 08:22 am
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 07/27/2022   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tiger Dude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I incorrectly stated that my unit is the same as the pictured. It isn't, but it is very close. Mine is a Lighthouse/Leuchtturm. My switch says UV 380 nm/ UV 254 nm and has quite a dark lens for the US tagging light, 254. It works in bright light if you hold it near the stamp.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,019Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05