Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Collecting Software

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,023Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Alan B to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been using Stamp Collecting Database (SCDB) for Windows for years, and earlier this year they announced that they were closing down the business and no future updates or support would be forthcoming. So, I'm looking for a new stamp collecting database program. StampManage by Liberty pops up most frequently on searches, as well as a number of others, some of which I'm not really sure are stamp collecting software programs.
I'm curious as to others' experiences and recommendations. I look at this as an opportunity to go back through my collection (1000's upon 1000's of stamps, so it may be a multi-year undertaking) and re-inventory all my stamps, re-evaluate quality and/or rarity, and generally get my collection in good shape.
Any feedback would be welcome.
Thank you. Alan

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   9:44 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend Stamp Manage for one simple reason (and as you have found out), the true cost of an app like this is the time that you have to invest to populate the database. This far exceeds to cost of the app itself and also can paint you into a corner (as you have found out) if the company is sold or goes away.

Stamp Manage is based upon Microsoft Access and it is easy to export all the data anytime you desire. Other stamp database apps make this either impossible or as a 'added cost functionality or service.

For me, this one fact outweighs all other variables when considering which stamp database app to use.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36307 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have the nous for Don's route.

I just take a scan of every stamp that passes my desk.
Use Windows Explorer type Hierarchy. (Image database)

In excess of 400,000 stamps, and I can find any stamp
in around 1.8 seconds.

Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alan B to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Thank you for your response. I've been looking fairly closely at StampManage, and the one thing that seems to pop up most frequently on their forum in multiple entries hinges around quality controls. Apparently, users are finding omissions and errors quite frequently. Have you had that experience?
Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 07/17/2022   03:19 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know of no worldwide catalog or listing of stamps that does not have multiple errors. For me and since it is an editable database, I do not have any heartburn with errors since I can fix/modify the record at will. There is also the ability to add new fields to each record. I would only consider a database shortcoming something like an interface omission, query coding errors, or app instability. I have not found these things in Stamp Manage. Note that you will need Microsoft Access to take your interaction with the Stamp Manage database 'to the next level'.

I one significant downside that I found a few years ago is that Liberty's support was virtually non-existent. Since I have experience with database development and implementation, this was not an issue for me. And I am not sure if this situation still exists or if they have improved.

The ability for me to access the data that I have entered into Stamp Manage outside of their app makes most any other issue fairly insignificant for me. Even if a user only uses the Stamp Manage app through their interface, having the 'just in case' capability of accessing the hundreds of man hours that have been invested in data entry makes a good choice in my opinion.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3505 Posts
Posted 07/17/2022   06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use StampManage for reasons that Don listed regarding able to access outside the program and submit data I entered back to them. Since I collect worldwide the data in the program is worth the expense.

The responsiveness is definitely always quick. I have reported several basic bugs but Paul states could not be reproduced.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/17/2022 06:32 am
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, the major use of any stamp database is that it must be portable and accessible anywhere. I need to know what I've got and what I want so that if I find myself at a stamp show or a rare stamp shop or even talking to stamp collecting friends at a meeting, I can whip out my phone and see what I'm looking for.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1007 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although not task-specific, I use Excel. I can hyperlink to each stamp scan and its associated invoice. One can create as many fields as desired - I have 12 fields for each entry. I am not worried about Excel going away - maybe I am naive. I am sure the techies around here can name a dozen reasons why Excel is a poor platform for this task, but it works for me 100%.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alan B to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm curious about your statement that "you will need Microsoft Access to take your interaction with the Stamp Manage database 'to the next level'." Doesn't Stamp Manage come with Access as its database engine? Or is it just a limited functions version and that I would need my own copy of Access for additional functionality?

Alan
Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   10:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the app has the Access engine included. But having MS Access allows you to take customizations to another level by adding your own queries, forms and reports.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
603 Posts
Posted 07/19/2022   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just an FYI: I thought I saw on the WEB that Microsoft's latest update had an adverse action to Access app. Did you see or experience any issues with Access since their last update??/
Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 07/19/2022   11:31 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am running Access 2016 on WIn10 and WIn11 and have not had any issues.
Don
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
Posted 07/19/2022   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just an FYI: I thought I saw on the WEB that Microsoft's latest update had an adverse action to Access app. Did you see or experience any issues with Access since their last update??

Quote:
I am running Access 2016 on WIn10 and WIn11 and have not had any issues.
Don

I'm running MS Office 2013 Professional (with Access) on Windows 11 and not having any problems. I just got a new laptop in June, and they all seem to come with a trial version of Office 365. I was advised to uninstall Office 365 before installing my licensed copy of Office 2013 or conflicts would arise.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3042 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly all these solutions are Windows only solutions. I live in a household that only has Mac and Linux. What are my options?

There are some online offerings, but I think the monthly charge is too much.
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sadly all these solutions are Windows only solutions. I live in a household that only has Mac and Linux. What are my options?

You can run Office on Mac just fine, or there are versions for Linux that will run without issue.
2 Posts
Posted 09/01/2022   02:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add starglow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use StampCat. Not as robust as StampManage but does the job.
It uses MS Access as database engine so you can manipulate data as you wish.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,023Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05