Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Will I Damage These Stamps By Soaking

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,075Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   05:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Majorp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I have these George v stamps and want to remove the paper from back of the stamps by soaking this would be my first attempt but dont want to do it if I'm going to ruin the stamp and dont no if they have any value

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6848 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   06:21 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best to avoid soaking the Edward VII stamps - the Jubilee series, from which many of these were derived, was notable (not entirely) for fugitive ink.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Majorp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you is the gold coloured stamp in first pic 3d uk
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6848 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   06:33 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, they're all GB.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2114 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first pic shows Edward VII and a (damaged) George V (1929 UPU). The EVII purples and greens tend to be damaged by water. Your 'gold-coloured' stamp, actually is purple on a yellow paper.

The second top row show a typo MacKennal, a Downey Head, and a photo MacKennal. The first two have watermark varieties, the latter size varieties.

The third and fourth pics again mix up the typo and photo stamps. The middle stamp at the bottom is not George V, but Edward VII again. Same for the top left stamp in your fifth pic.
Edited by NSK - 07/21/2022 07:31 am
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can anybody provide a photo of what damage would look like if soaked?
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2114 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very pale (faded) green or purple colours.
Edited by NSK - 07/21/2022 11:28 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Majorp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your reply and your advise and info .
Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Majorp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So would using watermark fluid affect the ink
edward vii stamps
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So would using watermark fluid affect the ink

No.
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will watermark fluid get the paper off the back? You can afford to experiment with these stamps. They are all beat up and very easy to replace with better ones. Even mint ones aren't that expensive.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3090 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   9:55 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Will watermark fluid get the paper off the back?" very unlikely
Pillar Of The Community
578 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will assume you are a newer collector, if so, as such I commend you for asking ahead and not after.

Pat
Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Majorp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all your help
United States
1 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add un-common cents to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you use cool or lukewarm water it will "NOT" make the ink run on any of these stamps just think for a minute here "lighter fue/fluid strips lead paint etc" & your worried about "WATER" "NOT A CHANCE" "ZERO" of anything whatsoever happening to your stamps!!!!! if you leave them in the lukewarm water for at least a minute to soak the paper you want off the reverse of your stamp!!!
it will separate it with no problem & you will actually see the little tabs floating around after about 30 seconds try it with a crappy stamp first & you will see what I mean!!!
Good Luck and don't worry it will work.!!!! I can guarantee you that!!!
And if it doesn't I will personally send you a MNH replacement Thats how confident I am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6848 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   1:32 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, we've all been wrong on the Jubilee issue for one hundred years. Thank you.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,075Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05