Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This The Ugliest Business College Practice Stamp Of All Time?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,466Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1732 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What at first looks like one of the crudest "postage" stamp-like thing ever, turns out to be something totally unexpected.

What is that thing in the center, anyway? Is it supposed to be a ship or something?

Courtesy of www.postmark-reveal.com, the barely readable handstamped cancel reads part of "business college" near the top, which makes this a "new" variety that has not been seen before, at least by me.

Can anyone make out any other words in the cancel? What is that weird symbol just under the "nt" of "cents"?

Jim
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8170 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an arrow?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1500 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is that thing in the center, anyway? Is it supposed to be a ship or something?

Side-wheel steam powered paddle ship with masts. Google for other images than shown below.

Edit: To add quote.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 07/22/2022 01:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
575 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Almost as ugly as this one.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is that weird symbol just under the "nt" of "cents"?

Referred to as a FLEURON

A fleuron also known as printers' flower, is a typographic element, or glyph, used either as a punctuation mark or as an ornament for typographic compositions.

or, if you prefer, Ornamental Dingbat
Edited by rod222 - 07/22/2022 12:07 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not evidenced in "College Stamps"
Author : Larry Lyons

The Penny Post
Volume 18 Number 4
October 2010

Page 33

Some 40 or so, perhaps more, college stamps.

Also mentioned Phantasies by Samuel Taylor.

Perhaps can read ???? LINS Business College.
No such college in the search from item above.

Edited by rod222 - 07/22/2022 12:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1732 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodney,

Larry's particular article was in fact based on my book, College and School Stamps.

Jim
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,
I thought so, it looked fairly comprehensive
I was hoping to find a school ending in "LIN'S" , but no.

I was curious at the bottom, also ????SAY CITY
Unusual to have "City" in an US address ?
Edited by rod222 - 07/22/2022 12:46 am
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson City, Oklahoma City, New York City, I'm sure there are others not to mention those that had the word city in their names long ago and have since dropped them.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Stephen !
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6841 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   5:30 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More common in the US than in the UK, I think - "City" is more often part of the title of a football team than the place itself.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1500 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Unusual or not, there are or were at least 1562 US Post Offices the name of which includes the word, "City" per this: https://www.postalhistory.com/posto...rchtype=word

That is a free feature Jim Forte has embedded in his retail and informational website.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you PPG

I was thinking perhaps Mexico as an option.

Personal Opinion.
I don't consider it ugly at all, rather handsome as a label of that time,
Others of this ilk (at that time) are horrendous.

Thinking aloud,
The large well produced 2 ring CDS (Circular Date Stamp) cancellation,
looks quite professional, ergo, it is surprising lots more of these labels do not survive for identification.

Perhaps if the vessel is identified, it may offer a clue to the Business College.
There cant be too many 4 masted Paddle steamers existant.

example "Great Western" (SS Great Western)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Great_Western
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great...rmal_College
Edited by rod222 - 07/22/2022 7:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1500 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is that weird symbol just under the "nt" of "cents"?

Specifically, it is an outlined only "Mars symbol" which is a symbol not normally included in the broad category of fleurons. The symbol above the "WO" and below the ship would qualify.

Mars symbol:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess -- Franklin's Business College, NYC
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
675 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree with parcelpostguy. I think it is more like an outline of a spinner arrow from a boardgame. There are 2 of them on the cancel. One below the P in Postage, and the original one at the bottom. Both have lines of the image on the left and right of the circle.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,466Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05