Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This The Ugliest Business College Practice Stamp Of All Time?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,464Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My guess -- Franklin's Business College, NYC

Yay! (The ???LINS)
Bravo! Postmaster
Looking good at this stage.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1104 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a ship. With four masts. Steam and sail were combined for many years like that.
Edited by DrewM - 07/22/2022 11:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1732 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just in case some of you have been unable to sleep at night without knowing the name of this business college, I believe that I have figured it out.

Another extremely crude "stamp" appeared recently. It doesn't appear at first to look similar to the first one that I showed. But if you look close, it does have a similar, barely-readable cancel on it.

The cancel is a bit more readable once it's been processed by postmark-reveal.

The "lin's" was sort of readable on the first stamp, and something that sort of looks like "dev" is at the top left on this second stamp.

I spent several minutes squinting at this image and flipping it and all sorts of other things.

With fingers crossed, I googled "Devlin's Business College."

And, lo and behold, the "city" portion that can be seen on both stamps suddenly makes sense, and what looks like the "bay" on the first one also makes sense.

Thought that you'd like to know that this particular mystery has been solved!

Jim

p.s. What on earth is that thing in the center? A bird with three wings? A pigeon with a giant rudder?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   5:02 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that explains the D.B.C. at the top of the stamp.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just in case some of you have been unable to sleep at night without knowing the name of this business college,

Guilty.
Great to see it solved.
Yes indeed a bird, in flight, reminds me instantly of the Picasso Dove
shown on many stamps.

So the census appears you have just 1 of each known.

Picasso Doves.

Edited by rod222 - 08/01/2022 7:24 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

CLARENCE H. SLOCUM, general manager of the Michigan Cedar Company and one of the prominent business men of Bay City, Michigan, was born at Providence, Rhode Island, and is a son of Henry W. and Sarah B. (Bonnell) Slocum.
The father of Mr. Slocum died when he was an infant. His mother was born 73 years ago, in New York City, and came to Bay City when her son was four years old. She still survives, a beloved member of his family.
Mr. Slocum obtained a good common-school education and took a business course at what was then known as Devlin's Business College. It later was merged into the Bay City Business College.

http://genealogytrails.com/mich/bay...ay_bio3.html
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 1898 the International Business College, of Bay City, Devlin's Business College, of Bay City and J. G. Lamsen's private school, in West Bay City, were consolidated under the name of the Bay City Business College, and the attendance has been increased by years of hard and earnest work, until in 1903 the number of pupils was 292. Many were placed in good positions in different parts of the country.

Fred E. Shearer was educated in the Bay City public schools and began his business career in the employ of E. B. Foss & Company, tallying, a few months later accepting the same position on the river for different parties, and during his third and last season working for George Jackson. When cold weather interrupted lumber transportation, he took advantage of the opportunity to acquire a good knowledge of business in Devlin's Business College, in Bay City, and on October 24, 1902, he entered the Bay City Bank as collector
http://genealogytrails.com/mich/bay...ay_bio7.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1500 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it is more like an outline of a spinner arrow from a boardgame

Upon your comment, I do seem to make out a bit of a tail on the lower marking suggesting an arrow spinner.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,464Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05