Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

It's Tattered. And Worn. And A Presumably Unique Revenue Usage. Beggars Can't Be Choosers.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,156Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   6:40 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sometimes when you encounter something rare, you can't be a stickler about condition. Sure, condition factors into what you're willing to pay, but ultimately at the end of the day you have to make a firm decision as to whether any faults or flaws are significant enough to dissuade you from acquiring the item... while knowing full well that if you pass it by there is likely never to be another.

Such was the case when this item came up for auction. As I've posted before, one of my focuses is illegal/improper usages of U.S. postage stamps as revenues from the Civil War era (all eras actually).

It is a bottom plate block of 16 of Scott #65, manuscript canceled "October the 24 1863". The paper on the back is part of the original document; various folds align with creases in the stamps, and the manuscript cancel ties to the paper in several places. Unfortunately, the printing and handwriting on the reverse is insufficient to glean any context as to the nature of the document.

There were numerous perf separations which I stabilized with archival mending tape; it's considerably more robust now than when it arrived. What I thought were trimmed edges on the top 3 stamps at the right turned out to be folded under perfs, which was a pleasant surprise.

Not only is it IMO a great revenue piece, but as far as I have been able to research online, I cannot find any other examples of a used plate block of #65 anywhere in any form. There are several used blocks of 15, 16 and one 18 on various covers, but none of them have margin imprints, let alone being an intact plate block. Of course there are numerous examples of mint and unused plate blocks, but not used.

I would love to have seen the complete document. Regardless, I'm thrilled to have acquired it.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8283 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, the image does not show up.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   8:44 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anybody else? I can see it here on multiple devices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see it.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8283 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All I see is a tiny black square which becomes slightly larger after about a minute. I have no problem with any other images on the site, such as the "anger management" images.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   9:43 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Weird. It's just a JPEG. Nothing unusual about it, and it's hosted in the same place as all my other images.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see it fine on 4 browsers on my iPad, 4 on my Mac, and 3 on Windows 10.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4763 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shows up perfectly on my Macbook air and iphone 8.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9039 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does the tiny black square talk to you?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
49 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chesham85 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodgcam,

I know someone who would say that the tiny cloud like black square with face talks to them and it was designed by the engraver that way from the onset.

P.S. They also would say the square is white.

Edited by Chesham85 - 07/28/2022 11:21 pm
Valued Member
228 Posts
Posted 07/28/2022   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting item. Used plate blocks of this vintage are scarce items indeed.

Would you educate someone, with little knowledge in this area, what informs you that this is a revenue usage? Is it the backing paper/document or something in the manuscript cancel? Was the item described at auction as a revenue usage or was that your own sleuthing?

Thanks

Bob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9039 Posts
Posted 07/29/2022   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chesham85 -

I know exactly what you mean.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 07/29/2022   07:08 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would you educate someone, with little knowledge in this area, what informs you that this is a revenue usage? Is it the backing paper/document or something in the manuscript cancel? Was the item described at auction as a revenue usage or was that your own sleuthing?

The style of cancel, for the most part, as well as having examined tens of thousands of revenue documents from the era. You have the clerk's initials in two places, as well as the full spelled out date, neither of which you would typically find on a postal cancel. In the latter, you would likely see the rate paid and/or the word "PAID", possibly the name of the town.

Technically, in addition to being an illegal use of postage stamps, the cancellation method was improper as well, although typically condoned. Per the regulations, each individual stamp was to be canceled with the clerk's initials and the date, not the block in aggregate. As is typically the case when it comes to administrative tasks, expediency rules the day.

The plate block was listed as a revenue usage, but I was unaware that the backing piece was part of the original document. The listing image was too low resolution to see that the cancel tied to the underlying paper.
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/29/2022 07:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8283 Posts
Posted 07/29/2022   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It finally showed up.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 07/29/2022   07:28 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's a long download time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8283 Posts
Posted 07/29/2022   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whether it is a revenue use or not is open to some debate; 48 cents is a very odd tax rate. Obviously it is possible that if it was a document it might have had other stamps as well. But this is a very large multiple, and few documents would have had the room to attach them. But a large cover would. Plenty of small towns were still using manuscript cancels in 1863.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,156Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05