Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Selling A Collection.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 469Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
13 Posts
Posted 07/29/2022   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dadof3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hoping to get some idea of expertise on this board. I've been collecting since I was a kid (with a pause for college) and have amassed a rather large amount of stuff that I need to offload. For reference, I'm a focused collector of Newfoundland, and have an extensive collection with lots of extras [not selling anything from my primary collection!], but I have also collected plate blocks, booklets, and souvenir sheets of Canada, as well as souvenir sheets and booklets from USA. As I get ready to unload, I wanted to get an idea from the board of what to expect (I know, these will just be opinions, but possibly based on experience. I have bought and sold on eBay for 20 years, so I have a little knowledge here). A preliminary question...generally how many stamps should I estimate off-paper for an ounce of unsorted stamps? I think I remember seeing the number about 175...does that sound like a ballpark number?

Please comment on my assumptions (USD):

1. Mint Newfoundland (excellent condition, about $70K CV) - 15-20% of Scott 2023 CV
2. Used Newfoundland (mixed condition, some sorted) - $10/100 stamps, and $20/oz.
3. Canada sheets and complete booklets (1970's, 1980-2010, excellent condition) - 20% of CV or 100% of face)
4. Canada plate blocks (1950's ff) - 50% of face
5. USA sheets and complete booklets (1990's-2015) - 90% of face
6. USA mint loose postage (1950'sff, a few blocks) - 75% of face

Thanks for any help...

DJP - dadof3
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6841 Posts
Posted 07/29/2022   10:19 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a collector of US, but, in the UK, auction prices for decimal unmounted mint are around 50% of face value including buyer's premium.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
258 Posts
Posted 07/29/2022   3:26 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
my last winning bid on new US was approximately 35% of face + shipping.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 469Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05