Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Does France "Sc" And France "Alpha" Mean On Yvert & Tellier's Website?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 532Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 07/30/2022   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ericdrive to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I'm resuming my collection from when I was a kid, and I want to buy my first album for my French collection.

I'm looking in Yvert & Tellier's website, and the albums are divided in France SC and France Alpha:

Could anyone tell me what the SC and ALPHA stand for?

Thank you very much in advance. #128578;

Eric
Send note to Staff
Edited by ericdrive - 07/30/2022 7:08 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 07/30/2022   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're different styles of albums. Consider spending a few minutes actually looking through Y&T's site to learn the details.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 07/30/2022   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericdrive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @classic_paper

Thank you for your prompt response.

SC and ALPHA don't refer to Y&T's albums, but to the stamps.

So, in the image shows a page of the SUPRA album, and you can select which stamps you want the pages for. The options are FRANCE ALPHA, FRANCE SC, and a bunch of others.

I assume the "C" for SC could stand for "Classic". But I'm not sure.

I'm fairly new to all of this
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 07/30/2022   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SC = Hingeless album pages
Alpha = Not hingeless album pages
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 07/30/2022   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericdrive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh Ok. So classic_paper was right. They ARE types of albums.

Thank you very much rogdcam ! #128578;

This forum's great!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6830 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   02:42 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. You probably know this, but, having myself blown some money on Yvert Supra albums a few years ago, they'll cost you a fair amount, especially if you opt for pages covering a long period. Whilst the pages used for Supra are of superior quality to the older albums that Yvert produced, they're also simplified and some collecting areas (eg parcel post) are no longer covered. This may not concern you, of course!

I bought my albums at a discount from Thema Timbres in Clermont, but they may no longer ship overseas.

https://www.thematimbres.com/
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   03:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericdrive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello @GeoffHa (not sure how to mention someone on this forum)
Thank you for your reply.

Regarding Y&T's Supra. I've been looking quite a bit for an album to put my French collection in. My ideal was an album like the Mystic Heirloom one, that includes something about the stamps on each page, or that would even go into the history of them, or the events they represented.

To my surprise, I couldn't find anything like that for France. So, my rational was: if I'm going to buy some boring white pages with just the placement for the stamps, might as well buy it from the ones who make the Catalogue I'm using (Y&T).

That said, I only bought some sheets and one binder. So, if I find something better, I'll consider switching. Any suggestions?

Thank you again.

Eric
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6830 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   03:50 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eric - as far as I know, there isn't an album that includes historical information. Older Yvert albums, which had no pictures, contained a short title of the stamp ("Cezanne" etc).

Various French albums have passed through my hands. A range of Yvert types, Lighthouse, Schaubek, Thiaude Davo and MOC (now owned by Lighthouse) also produce albums. Is any of the current offerings better than the Yvert Supra? Probably not, although with Lighthouse et al, you'll avoid the catalogued, but unissued, stamps that Yvert makes space for (and which most of us won't find).

The alternative is to develop your own pages, on which you can put as much or as little historical information as you like. Much more satisfying, if you have the time.

Bonne chance!
Pillar Of The Community
1104 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eric, for the longest time I disdained descriptive albums which explained each stamp but lately I've been seeing their benefits Like most classic collectors, descriptions of the subjects of stamps seemed childish to me since I guess I assumed you were supposed to know what or who each stamp was honoring. But often I didn't know.

In the U.S., Scott U.S. albums include only a word or two identifying the subject of each stamp ("State Birds Issue") but no other explanations. If a stamp is identified as "Polar Explorers" or "Edith Wharton," that's all you get -- no explanation of who the people are. The best descriptive albums, I think, were White Ace albums, those three-ring albums with smaller colorful pages that were recently discontinued. Each space or group of spaces got not just a name, but a description of who or what the person or event was. I think some Minkus albums which are also now largely gone, also did that.

Gradually I've come around to the idea that pages with mere names aren't very useful. I'm not sure what the collector is supposed to do in order to learn about their stamps? The catalogue is often no more helpful then the headings on the albums pages, typically giving only the briefest description like "poet" or "playwright" which isn't much help. And U.S. stamps themselves are usually devoid of any descriptions or explanations, often not even including "poet" or "playwright" on the stamp -- as if we all keow who this person or subject was,

So there's no help from album makers, no help from catalogue makers, and no help from the U.S. postal service, either. Do we look up the subjects of every stamp on the internet? Or do we remain largely ignorant of what the stamps we collect are all about?

Consequently, I've become more and more interested in high-quality descriptive albums which include at least a brief description of who or what stamps are about -- except they really don't exist. I know Mystic albums include descriptions, but I don't particularly like their albums. I don't like 3-ring binder pages or small pages, either. I want classic looking albums with larger pages in high-quality binders. For those kinds of pages there are no descriptive alternatives, apparently, not LIghhouse, not Schaubek, Yvert, Lindner, Davo, Stanley Gibbons, or any other album maker. It's all just boxes with labels, but no other information about the stamps that go in the boxes.

Making my own pages seems the only alternative but for entire countries with hundreds of pages that's quite a lot of work to undertake I've tried converting Bill Steiner's print-your-own pages into Word documents in order to modify them -- but it's pretty hit or miss that way as margins and other settings do not always cooperate when I want to add longer descriptions. Steiner's stamp boxes are also hard to move. I print these altered pages onto blank Scott album pages so I have the Scott margin. When it works, they are very good-looking pages, but adding descriptions and rearranging stamp boxes does not work very well so this does not seem a very good solution to do what I want.

I imagine the original reasons album makers excluded descriptions from album pages and included only one- or two-word labels was the problem of space. They wanted more stamps on each page (to cut costs?) and longer descriptions would require a lot more pages. And doing the research would add another step in the page-making process. And there was the standard in classic stamp collecting of "just stamps" with only minimal information perhaps about perforations or a color variety or maybe identifying the stamp printer (to differentiate from similar stamps), but never information about the subject of the stamp. I suppose that information was considered extraneous, maybe even silly. Too bad as I think explaining a little about the subjects of individual stamps or sets of stamps (in addition to the other information) adds a great deal, makes it more informative and educational, and increases the pleasure of simply looking through the album.
Edited by DrewM - 08/01/2022 3:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericdrive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@DrewM, I couldn't agree more.

I think this is a topic for a separate thread. It is fascinating, and a lot can be said about it.

I'm somewhat surprised there aren't more options for people like us. But I suspect it's due to minimal, and dwindling, demand for stamp albums. Traditional brick-and-mortar business models can't survive the following trend of this demand:

Having said that, I can see how a lean, very efficient, operation can create something great sustainably. Someone looking for an album with printed pages could have the intent of sharing his collection; showing it to others (family and friends). These people would appreciate something like this:

A lot more than something like this:

Also, there's no appeal to youth. These albums with a collection of stamp images seem to be made by people who forgot what it is to be young. Show the above page to a 5-year-old, and see how fast he runs away. Now, give him this:

And it'll be a different story.

These colorful examples are from the Portuguese Postal Office. The problem with these editions is that they take too much space. They're a book per year. Who has room for 100 albums for just one country?

I understand that hardcore collectors would prefer to do things their own way. After all, who else would be capable of doing it better than them, FOR them? But most people won't be full-time philatelists. Most will want some fun in their spare time, share an activity with their family, and show the result to others. And, these "others" won't know what they're looking at unless there's something in the album that help and entertain them.

A great album should be the one that cannot be put down when given to a non-collector.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
White Ace produced (produces?) well annotated and aesthetically pleasing album pages such as described above.

Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericdrive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes! I Googled them. They looked great.

To me, that's the way to go. But you go to their site, and it's a 1990's website with no supply.

Again. I think it's a matter of finding the correct business model to survive the scarce demand. A lean operation could create a modern product, with a digital component, at an affordable cost, I think.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6830 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   04:22 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the past, stamp collectors interested in context would simply have provided it themselves with write-ups, pictures etc, just as many did with scrap-books on wider aspects of their lives. There's no reason why you can't do that now - by hand or via the computer. It's a question of whether you want to spend the time and effort. You can be sure that Yvert and Lighthouse won't be doing it for you!
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericdrive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In an ideal world, I would create my own personalized album. But like most working people with a family, there's a time restraint.

And I think that even if I had the time, I wouldn't be able to create something nicer than a professional graphic designer and a stamp and/or history expert could. But I can imagine how a digital integration could allow for customization within a professionally designed framework.

But, after all, it's just a matter of preference.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6830 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   05:32 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think one needs to forget "professional designer" or "stamp,expert". The old albums I've seen, with hand-drawn maps, pictures stuck in, descriptions of the country and its stamps etc, weren't designed to compete with a graphic designer, but to entertain the collector, the creation of the album being an integral part of collecting the stamps. My mother had a house to run and an irritating son to look after, but she still maintained scrap-books of the family life for fifty years.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the U.S., Scott U.S. albums include only a word or two identifying the subject of each stamp ("State Birds Issue") but no other explanations. If a stamp is identified as "Polar Explorers" or "Edith Wharton," that's all you get -- no explanation of who the people are.

I use HE Harris Liberty US albums. I have up to the 2020 supplement and they still provide snippets of info for the stamps. They are a place to get started on research if you want more info.

Quote:
Making my own pages seems the only alternative but for entire countries with hundreds of pages that's quite a lot of work to undertake

This is true. I would only provide info for my favorite stamps. Trying to do it for all stamps would be madness.
Edited by l2y - 08/19/2022 2:27 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05