Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Album Recommendations?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,639Next Topic
Page: of 2

0 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add eastdragon42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

inherited a ton of stamps when parents passed away, but they are all scattered haphazardly in a bunch of envelopes, folders, & boxes. I would like to organize them into an album of some sort (or even better, give it all to my 9-year-old son to organize to give him something to do during his summer break), but I personally don't want to invest too much time/money into this project, if possible. & unfortunately, a search on Amazon turns up way more choices then I'd like to go through, TBH, & as a layman I have no idea what's good or not. Any recommendations please? Something not too fancy & simple/easy to use. Or should I just try to order some stamp album page sleeves & stick them in a regular notebook?

Thanks in advance!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6693 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   10:34 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. I'd start with a stock-book, which allows you to sort your stamps into countries and move them around. You can then decide whether you want to move to an album.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
742 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Second that, just get a stockbook.
Valued Member
389 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be happy to give you this smallish worldwide album for just shipping cost. I had hoped to give this to my niece but alas, there's no interest. It is a good beginner's album to put stamps in. I can throw in some hinges too.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36307 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Generosity on SCF
0 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eastdragon42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Canyoneer for the generous offer, though looking at the photos of your worldwide album, I think that might be a bit overkill (as I don't believe my parents' collection had a lot of different countries' stamps in it). Also, perhaps your niece might change her mind some day about not wanting that album? :-P

As for GeoffHa and classic_paper's suggestions on getting a stockbook, would you recommend something like this perhaps?

https://www.amazon.com/Stamp-Albums...%2C77&sr=8-7

Thank you again for the prompt replies! (& apologies for my own delayed response!)

Regards,
Pillar Of The Community
United States
742 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd recommend something more like this https://www.amazon.com/Stamp-Album-...p/B006OMDT0G

I have no idea who "Uncle Paul" might be, so there's no telling what the plastic and other materials might do to the stamps. Also, fully covering the stamps will make it difficult to rearrange/add/remove them.
0 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eastdragon42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, thank you for the advice, classic_paper! Sincerely appreciated!
Valued Member
142 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another option, https://www.amosadvantage.com/produ...e-blue-8-row

A binder has various advantages over a bound stockbook including pages which lay completely flat, and ability to add, remove, and rearrange pages.
0 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eastdragon42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you tsmatx for your suggestion as well. So if not going w/ a bound stockbook, would something like this be good?

https://www.amazon.com/Sheets-Colle...7-spons&th=1

Cause along w/ all the stamps that were left behind, there are also tons of empty notebooks at my parents' place too; & I assume these Standard 9-Hole Binder Sleeves should fit into them OK?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those look fine. I think that you want to save money at this point and just get some organization because a disorganized accumulation of stamps like you describe almost always means inexpensive stamps. They can be great fun and very rewarding to organize and learn about but you won't need fancy albums and binders yet, if ever.
0 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eastdragon42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wkusau: You pretty much hit the nail on the head! No idea what is in the collection, but definitely don't want to go overboard & end up spending more for the album then the actual value of the collection itself! :-D
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2139 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
classic_paper's suggestion would be the way to go I'd say.

The pages lie flat, you can move the stamps around to suit, and they're a quality product. They also look nice on a shelf!
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tiger Dude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
don't want to go overboard & end up spending more for the album then the actual value of the collection itself!

Whoa, whoa, whoa, that's me you're talking about!
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi!

As a stamp collector on a budget, I would suggest doing a web search for free stamp albums or pages. There are several out there, almost too many to list. You can print out what you want and need. I think there was even a forum topic on the subject.

Instead of a stock book, I would also suggest stock pages and a binder. They do the same job. Also,a little cheaper and you can change the pages around and they aren't as restricting as a book. Once you better define what you want to collect you can better focus your spending.

Look at the topic " A Stamp For Every Country Postage Stamp Album - Any Reviews?" In the Main Stamp Collecting Forum (sorry, I can't post links yet) they have information and a link to a free downloadable copy this book. The author is also involved. Having this you can easily just print out what pages you need. You don't have to match the stamps listed. You can put what you want on the page. Also you can control the paper you use and can place them in 3-ring binders, which I prefer over those large 2-post monsters.
Edited by l2y - 08/19/2022 12:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
571 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a great place to start.
https://www.thestampweb.com/albums/free-downloads

All downloads are free. Choose the country or topic you want. Download and open the pdf file(s), then print the pages you want.

If you have the (also free) AlbumEasy software, you can download and make any additions/deltions/changes to the .txt files for your selection(s).

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,639Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05