Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting In The Metaverse

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 2,101Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9021 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would try it. I will be the handsome young stud with zircon encrusted tongs wearing an electric blue leisure suit and a supermodel on each arm. Want to see my collection of C3a's?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WheatCent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, I think your application of virtual reality in the sense of having stamp shows, meet-ups and educational forums is spot on. I would also agree that visiting Kyoto at night during a storm vs watching a 4K video of the same storm on your VR headset are in fact different. I would mention, however, an individual who can afford a VR headset and "travel" to Kyoto via virtual reality may not be able to actually travel to Kyoto and experience the "real thing", and I think that's part of the appeal of some VR worlds and environments.

Applying that logic to stamp collecting- I think it presents an opportunity for those who can't afford to see all the great rarities in detail, or attend large stamp shows and meet-ups to participate (other than searching for high resolution images of those rarities online). Of course, like you said there are limitations and it won't solve all of our problems- I just think there's potential for it to be a good thing for philately.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
195 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Adding another thought, 3D representation of postal routes that can be globally followed for postal history could be quite interesting / engaging to pursue. Yes, you could make that kind of thing without the metaverse today, but doing so is overly time intensive. The right graphic and philatelic information tools will be required, but they will come. Simply mapping today's real world onto evolvievolving tech doesn't provide a lot of excitement to me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As long as VR is a place to visit, and not to live, then I have no problem. Problems arise when people are so affected that they forget the difference between VIRTUAL Reality and Reality. I think that is fairly rare, but I don't doubt that it happens, and mixing the 2 can cause problems in the real world. In the real world, you only get one life, no matter how much treasure you have accumulated, and there are no reset buttons.

Seriously, on a scale from 1 to 10, I would put the 'excitement' level of a VR meeting with, say, Rowland Hill at a 2 or 3. I would rate the 'excitement' level of a productive meeting and convo with one of my regular dealers at an 8 or 9. If there are no stamp shows in town, no big auctions on SAN, and nothing much else going on philatelically, and I want a bit of stamp 'excitement', I might participate in the VR thing. I'll take what I can get. I just cannot get too excited about non-real reality.

Sorry, but ETA: At some point, the potential of VR would make 'normal' VR pretty boring. At some point, I would be tempted to spice things up with a USA Sc #1 Invert - poor Benjamin standing on his head. Or perhaps a tete-beche pair. Or perhaps a 1/2 se-tenant pair. Heck, how about an entire se-tenant, tete-beche SHEET, with every other Benjamin an invert.

Now, for the color error sheet....

ETA2: OH!! Look what I just found! My duplicate sheet of above except accidentally printed on both sides, and with Chicage perfs, on multiple crowns watermarked paper.

I wonder what's in the bottom drawer of the desk...
Edited by mootermutt987 - 08/03/2022 01:36 am
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   06:18 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam wrote:

Quote:
Be who you are and constantly strive to improve instead of creating a persona that appeals to your target audience.

Indeed. I will not be joining the transhumanism/Metaverse movement. I believe it is all about control by the elites, who wish for themselves nothing less than to be immortal/gods. It is for the sheep to comply...

Not so far-fetched, once you study what transhumanism really is.

The 2006 movie Idiocracy - a vision of the future?

John
Learn More...
United States
10955 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   06:48 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have all created persona's here with many folks selecting avatars they feel represent themselves. As we have seen, some folks get upset if the avatars are not added within a certain amount of time. So clearly being able to control our online persona's is already here and important to many of us.

I doubt that Big Tech will care much about persona's, they want to sell us stuff. It is true that they want to know as much as they can about us but the objective is things like product placement.

For example, say we are sitting in the VR SCF clubhouse, perhaps it would look like your local country club or Elks Club. We have banners here now (top of this page) and these would be in the VR SCF clubhouse too. The more 'spooky' part of things like VR product placement would include the ability to 'pop' up things that we might be chatting about. For example, say a group of us are chatting about the best catalogs for European countries. Any catalog seller (including our own eBay listings) could be presented in real time. The table could instantly be populated by both new and used catalogs we could purchase, We could pick them up, page through them to view examples pages, check out the condition of the used ones, see shipping costs, delivery dates.

I agree that Big Tech is 'bad' in many ways, but their primary objective is to make money and that the 'bad' things will be more the unintended impacts.

Edit: For example, just how 'addictive' this kind of thing can become and inserts itself in our lives. And FYI, we are already 'hooked', how do you feel when SCF currently goes off line? Do you get upset when eBay stops working or does not work like you expect?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9021 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This probably comes down to trust given the level of data that VR collects. There is no comparison between this forum experience and VR which is both good and bad.

VR uses biometrics at a level that allows you to be identified personally just as fingerprints do. Your characteristics can build a profile that includes medical/mental health conditions. Have PTSD or ADHD? Meta will know. Is that good or bad? Both probably.

We need to be aware that the more realistic the VR experience is or becomes, the more information VR requires about you, your environment and your life in general.

All of your fine movements will be measured and logged as will be what you say, your preferences, your environment etc.

VR is used in psychology research to investigate areas such as social anxiety, moral decision-making and emotional responses.

Just a bridge too far for little old me.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Or try '1984' written in the 1940's by George Orwell. Oh, wait a minute, Big Brother has already manifested itself. It is just more corporate (in our world) than governmental (as in the book). For now.

Although I have exactly *ZERO* interest in philatelic VR, I can't think of too many fields of endeavor where VR could be less damaging to humanity. Can you imagine what could happen with VR News and Current Events? If made real enough (and THAT'S the whole aim of VR) some of the more fragile members of society may forget where the line is between VR and R. And in a truly evil twist, if the 'producers' decide they want to 'mold' society by 'fiddling' with the facts, well, we're done. It's bad enough that a few users may be harmed, but it is a bad science fiction novel if the content-producers want to screw things up.

As for philatelic VR, what's the harm? If some newbie collector actually believes that USA #1 and 2 can be found as se-tenant pairs, who has died? I will sit out and watch the ridiculous questions flood the SCF.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WheatCent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philately will exist with or without virtual reality, just as virtual reality will continue to grow and change. Instead of closing the door on it, we should be wondering what this technology as a whole can do for the hobby. I very well could be wrong, but at this moment I cannot imagine a specific VR "stamp collecting" environment that consumes someone's entire life and waking moments.

edit- grammar
Edited by WheatCent - 08/03/2022 9:33 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
87 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Or try '1984' written in the 1940's by George Orwell.

I tend to look at the Metaverse more as the pending realization of the book/movie "Ready Player One".

I'm not in any way excited about the potential, which is vast (and both good and bad), but I am intrigued to see how it develops.

I wonder how much of my collection I am going to have to sell off to buy a virtual Snoop Dogg signature track suit.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder how much of my collection I am going to have to sell off to buy a virtual Snoop Dogg signature track suit.

Shizzle my dizzle!!

Can I even say that??
Learn More...
United States
10955 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   06:17 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
< 40 mg Prednisone induced sarcasm> Its funny, we have countless threads crying about the how the decline of first-class mail and use of postage stamps spells doom for our hobby. We have countless threads whining about how this hobby requires bringing in younger people and its currently inability to do such is the death knell of our hobby.
So let's go with the strategy of rejecting anything new and different. APS and the hobby can continue to look for new members on FaceBook, perhaps we can find a comfortable place to hang on in AOL. </40 mg Prednisone induced sarcasm>

I am an engineer and a technologist, technology is 100% responsible for me being alive. I have seen first-hand, cognitive impaired people learn things for the first time in years and the joy that of the family involved. Immersive technology can offer comfort and hope to a family where their loved one can still be reached and perhaps even maintain a bit of independence. This is only the tip of the ice burg on the potential upside of immersive technology. But as previously stated, we are going to have to navigate the waters this technology confluence very carefully.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2100 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Am I missing something?

A NFT of a stamp does not mean you own the stamp, but just a digital copy of it. Why would a digital reproduction be a genuine item when a normal reproduction is not?

You might own the stamp have it held in deposit and retain a digital copy. I am not quite understanding why you would pay for that digital copy to be an NFT. The seller you may have acquired it from, likely, posted a picture on the web at some time. I am not quite getting the added value of a NFT.

Something else that comes to mind is the British Guiana 1c Magenta. That would be one stamp I and thousands of others own. I, somehow, do not know why I would, but I am fine with others wanting it.

That just about leaves stamps to be issued. Probably, some philatelic bureau will come up with a unique NFT you can buy for a lot of money. Whether that is a stamp in any sense, I wonder. Unless you can use it for franking an item of mail, it never was intended as a stamp. If someone else can use it, you, again do only own a digital copy of a stamp.

In most of its appearances, I do not see what the philatelic side is.

As for virtual venues. I could not care less about a venue for any online meeting. I will prefer a picture of the current year's hockey team I support (hockey means field hockey here) and let the distractions of moving pictures for what it is. If one thing distracts from virtual communication, it is virtual scenery with movements. No one will pay attention to what is said. In that case, send me the presentation, I shall look at it when it suits me.
But that iatter part is my preference, if you can attract more young collectors by having a virtual venue, do so. Please add a 'my picture as background' button so I do not have to be bothered with that.
I do wonder where the metaverse brings something that is not already there or can be developed without it being part of the metaverse. Or is the metaverse just another word for the world wide web, offered by a monopolist.
Learn More...
United States
10955 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   3:24 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion NFTs have little to do with this thread.

Metaverse is the virtualization of the internet, it is open to debate if it is the next generation of the internet or if it will be just a part of it.

A big part of this discussion will include the evolution of I/O (input/output) interfaces. Needing VR devices to present the environment is pretty weird, many have probably seen people wearing the VR glasses, playing 'tennis', and throwing the racket across the room. Consider the impact of being able to practice field hockey in a room. Here in the US, young baseball players are learning how to ID and hit pitches that are extremely hard to replicate on an actual ball field.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2100 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, what do you collect in the metaverse?

Quote:
Consider the impact of being able to practice field hockey in a room.

You just caused me a sleepless night.

It is not just watching the game and supporting your team. Mine are the girls in blue. It is talking with the players, their families, the club officials.
It is going to friendly games to see how the team is getting better for the competition.
It is about having chats with injured players and knowing about their progress.
It is about seeing players getting selected for the national team.
It is about the players greeting you when they are warming up and see you off the field.
It is about the parents asking you how you think their child played.

If you do not practice on the actual pitch, you get injured.
Edited by NSK - 08/04/2022 3:58 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 2,101Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05