Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting In The Metaverse

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 1,951Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
10738 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   3:50 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not for you, a fan...but for your team or for young kids in your area thinking about becoming a player. Being able to learn the game, see if they like tending goal, interact with other experienced players... all without having to spend a lot of money just to see if this is something they want to pursue.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1863 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valid argument.

However, from what the parents tell me, when they are young it is about playing together in the field and making friends.
As soon as it becomes about practicing technique - impossible to get it right off pitch - they could not care less until they already are at an advanced stage and have made the investment.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WheatCent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what else can be added to this thread that hasn't already been shared except for this- another aspect to consider would be how interesting a real stamp auction could be held in a VR space. I think it's not that much of a stretch to imagine- don't some major auction houses already have bidding by phone?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1004 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you can go to Stamp Auction Network and bid 'live' at a bunch of auctions. You are on the internet, viewing each lot (a picture and description from the auction's catalog) as it comes up for sale at the auction house. Some auction houses stream sound at the same time so you can hear the auctioneer doing his thing. So, we are ALMOST there.

Do any auction houses stream video of their auctions?? Although not Metaverse (I don't think) video streaming of an auction might be fun to watch.

So.... I am taking bets. Which auction house will be the first to offer an NFT of a stamp at one of their auctions? Will it / should it be in order among the real stamps for sale, or should it / will it have its own separate catagory?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8772 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NFT = NO FRIGGIN' THINS
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1863 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do any auction houses stream video of their auctions??

On a few occasions, I watched a Stanley Gibbons auction online. There was a stream of the auctioneer.
Watching grass grow was more exciting.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Christie's live streams a bunch of their big art sales. Interesting to watch the people in the room - yes, they still get them - as well as agents in other countries. The watchers' comments can also be funny.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
550 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

The one thing consistent in any area of endeavor is change. How folks react to these changes over time keeps things interesting. Great discussion expressing many points of view.

Personally, I do not think I will be upgrading my avatar to a full body view anytime soon. NFTs of stamps are different than NFTs of say paintings where only one original exists rather than many. I am happy to play the digital game as it is now, but, like DOS 3.0 days, this too will change.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2131 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
VR has the opportunity to change society in great ways and in my opinion is inevitable

True, but the next Carrington Event is also inevitable.

Quote:
The one thing consistent in any area of endeavor is change.

One of the three guarantees in life. We all know what the other two are!
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6040 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry folks ,I think this is a lame subject and has no future in Philately .

Two reasons :
First my wife just loaded over 1200 pictures from one computer to a new computer ,it took her 15 mins . You want 2,000 pictures of valuable stamps ,you can have it in less than 1/2 hour .

You want good scans with stamps info ,just start buying all those beautiful stamp auction catalogs put out over the last 50 years ,then you can write your own cross reference file on your computer . My pride and joy is the Stamp Auction catalog for the whole series of the Philip Ferrary Collection . I couldn't impress on you enough the collecting of those old stamp auction catalogs over any of this talk about computer scans .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8772 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2131 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the collecting of those old stamp auction catalogs

Couldn't agree more.

If there is a New South Wales auction catalogue of any importance over the last 25 years or so it's already on my bookshelf.
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread reminds me...

A few years ago, I taught a kid who had autism - borderline level 1 and level 2 autism.

We connected through stamps and he told me of his stamp collection. It was electrical items (mostly lights - he was obsessed with lights) on stamps. He asked if he could bring it one day. Emailed mom, worked it out.

He came in with an iPad and was beaming. Fired it up and showed me his collection.

According to mom, he would get a stamp, scan it, throw the stamp in the trash, and save the virtual version on his iPad. Mom fished the stamps out of the trash and stashed them away, but this virtual representation was his stamp collection. There's something I like about this youngster with a fairly serious neurological developmental disability coming up with a way that made sense to him to collect his stamps.

Any discussions of meta verse, virtual collecting, etc., always make me think of him.
clay-morgan.me Some philately discussions. Some pontificating.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Virtual stamp collecting is already a reality (pardon the pun). I can't remember the exact episode but Graham Beck on his You Tube Exploring Stamps channel did a segment on stamps you can only buy and own virtually. You can even set up galleries to display them. Today people are buying and selling digital/electronic rights to works of art and videos, so why not stamps.

Also there are several online stamp inventory/cataloging sites that let you upload pictures of your stamps. You can look at them online instead of having to search for them in albums.

I think the metaverse is a great way to participate in the new field Virtual Philately were people travel to a location pictured on a stamp and take a picture with their stamp.

Times they are changing and the youth today most likely won't be sitting around with albums and stamps, they will be sitting around on their computers in the metaverse to escape their real world concerns.

Also, I can see the appeal of not having to set aside a part of my house with cluttered with books, binders, boxes of stamps,and dealing of with hinges and mounts, and other stamp collecting supplies.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
550 Posts
Posted 08/25/2022   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

Are physical stamp and cover albums going to become obsolete pieces of past times? Just file away [inventory?] your treasures and show off your digital copies? Easier to update any descriptive notes?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 1,951Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05