Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Digital Nomad Getting Back To An Old (Good?) Habit

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 441Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ericdrive to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I'm Eric.

I used to collect when I was a little kid, given my dad collected a bit as well.

After many years, I thought it could be fun to re-kindle that activity for 4 main reasons:

1) It's something I can share with my kids, since I'm now a father.
2) It's an "offline" or "tangible" activity. More and more our lives are becoming very digital. Having activities in the "tangible" world is healthy.
3) I have the collector's gene. So I have a calling to collect something.
4) I like collecting stamps!

So, even though I delved into stamps when I was young, I consider myself a beginner collector. I've never used a catalog (I am using one now: I subscribed to the Yvert & Tellier online catalog), and don't know the jargon or almost anything for that matter. But I have already started doing some research, watching YouTube videos, and reading some forums.

Regarding the forums. I didn't know which one to use. So I Googled them and selected the ones that came up first organically. Then I ensured they were active and that threads would be answered quickly (a sign of enthusiasm). I chose the three main ones and signed up for them. In all three, I'm using this same introductory post, to save me some time (I hope that's fine with all, and within guidelines).

I'm currently collecting Argentina, France, and Portugal. But will soon add the US and the UK to that list.

I'll collect by country, in chronological order. My idea is to have a collection of MNH and one of Used stamps per country. I'm not sure if that's doable, but that's my beginner's idea.

I leave you three stamps I like from my small collection. Hope you enjoy:

1948: Abbey of Conques - Aveyron
(Yvert et Tellier FR 805; Scott FR 593)
Front:

Back:

1948: CÚres and Marianne de Gandon
Yvert et Tellier FR 833A; Scott FR 615a
Front:

Back:

1941: Clement Ader (1841-1925) Aviation pioneer. Surcharge
Yvert et Tellier FR 493; Scott FR 414
Front:

Back:

Glad to be here.

Looking forward to participating.

Eric
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6693 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   1:22 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again. I'd abandon the unmounted mint for QV GB. In fact, I'd abandon the mint too.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericdrive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@GeoffHa

After googling QV GB, I see what you mean lol (why do I feel like a naive beginner now hahaha)

So, it might make more sense to collect MNH whenever possible. And keep things to just one collection per country.

Thank you for your welcoming, your advice, and your prompt reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WheatCent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Eric!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
555 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eric,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences.

Personal bias. Used stamps are best collected on the cover they carried through the mails. This documents their journey.

Wishing you many enjoyable future days in our hobby. Russ
Valued Member
142 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum! I'd be curious how one balances digital nomadding with stamp collecting, as it seems like frequently moving would make almost all aspects of stamp collecting very challenging. In my case, my interest in stamp collecting was largely fueled by covid19 travel restrictions, and the accumulation I've built up in the past couple of years is going to make my next household move a bigger challenge and makes nomadding--something I had previously aspired to--impossible.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 08/03/2022   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericdrive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd be curious how one balances digital nomadding with stamp collecting, as it seems like frequently moving would make almost all aspects of stamp collecting very challenging.

Hello @tsmatx (sorry, not sure how to tag in this forum)

I guess it depends on your type of traveling and collection. You can leave the bulk of your collection in a "base" and then travel with whatever you want to work on during your traveling period.

In my case, for example, I was recently in Paris and bought some stamps there. Now I'm in Portugal and bought some local stamps here. With what I got from those two purchases, I have enough to entertain myself for months. And carrying a big envelope of "paper" and an album doesn't modify my luggage too much. But, ask me in a couple of years, and I'd reckon I'll have a more sophisticated answer :)
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thinkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome ericdrive !

I like the stamps you chose to display on your intro page.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
81 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum!

- Lance
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eric,
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

I just want to say that you should collect what you want to collect, how you want to collect it and always do what makes you happy.

Trying to always meet the expectations of others just adds stress to the hobby and makes it unpleasant. Just because others have been unsuccessful doing something doesn't mean you can't forge a new path.

It's your life, live like you wanna live!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05