Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland Definitive Re-Issues (Unitrade #254

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 442Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hdfk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I'm new to this discussion. After many, many years I'm finally getting to organize (play I call it) my Newfoundland stamp collection. If there are Newfoundland stamp aficionados viewing this discussion, I would value your guidance re a question about the King George VI stamp (Unitrade #254)...it seems all stamps in this set of 14 are 21mm with the exception of the King George VI stamp which seems to be a little smaller 20.5 (approx) which is similar to the Perkins printings in the original Definitive Issues 1932-1937. I have been able to determine that the King George VI stamp is not of the Royal Family Issue (which is only 20mm). Is the 20.5mm version the correct stamp for this serious and any thoughts why this one stamp of 14 is smaller. I have two of them so I think it is more than a fluke. I would value your thoughts.
Kindest regards,
HDFK
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, and welcome to the Forum. I was lucky enough to get a large mailbag of these type of Newfoundland stamps, and found many different oddities. However, I feel your pain for this issue.

One thing to consider is that the 2c King George VI was issued as the Royal Family Issue in 1938, and again by Waterlow in 1941 to 1944. The perforations are slightly different, but the easiest way to see if you have Unitrade 245 or Unitrade 254 is by the curvature of the bottom of the L in Newfoundland. See these side-by-side scans, which has 245 on the left, and 254 on the right. These could help you differentiate your stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
2 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hdfk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you kind sir...that was excellent information...and took far less time than the efforts I was putting in to distinguish between the two stamp images.

I have a second question, if I might. I'm looking at Newfoundland Queen Victoria stamps (Unitrade #34 and 49). I have two stamps that are different in dimensions. One stamp (left) is 18.5mm x 24.5mm and the second stamp (right) is 18mm x 25mm...both stamps are measured from the center of the sides and center of top / bottom. Is this a different variety or possibly just a different printer. Any light you or your counterparts can shed on this quandary would be greatly appreciated. I will include an image of these two stamps...sorry image is not as good as your scanner...both images are very similar in colour so the the colour variation in the picture is glare.
Kindest regards,
HDFK
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
688 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome and thank you for posting these.

I believe you will find many people who have information and expertise with regard to Newfoundland in this community. I only collect Newfoundland--having done so for 40+ years. So I'm weird and somewhat knowledgeable.

Three suggestions:

1. Use the search function of this community using "Newfoundland" and you will find many historic threads that will enlighten and inform you. Like the topics above.
2. I'd recommend keeping the posts discrete to a topic--so instead of #254 and then add #34 and 49 to that post--start a new one. Makes it easier for the community and you.
3. I highly recommend you invest in a 3rd party resource called the NSSC( Newfoundland Specialized Stamp Catalogue)--its a very deep, comprehensive fact based catalogue and has tons of information like what you are looking for. Unitrade is fine but surface level only--like a good grade school book. NSSC is like University level. There is a PDF and its 856 pages long and has photos too. Search this community for info on this--and don't take my word for it.
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
688 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My view on #254 :
This stamp is very common and I would not spend too much time worrying about it. I have like 100 of these. That said : it was issued on May 12, 1938, as a part of The Royal Family issue. It came in sheets of 10x10 or 100 stamps. Green. Engraved. Perf is 13.5 x 13.5 with no known variants. There was a Coat of Arms watermark on the sheet (meaning it might be on your stamp if you look at it from the back at a bright light). There as some/most without a watermark. There are a bunch of subtypes, like inverted watermark, imperf and imperfect pairs, etc etc. The value of a used or mint stamp is at best $1 or on a Cover $2. If you had a pair together where 1 was watermarked and 1 not, then that would be rare and perhaps $80 of value.

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
688 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My take on the Queen Victoria images you posted.

This can be confusing for new collectors, as there were several similar looking issues. Look deeply though at the stamps and you will see differences.

Your image is Unitrade #49. This was Blue and issued in 1880 as part of many stamps known informally as the "1880-1898 British American Bank Note" issue. Montreal. The stamps were all engraved, no watermark and perf of 12x12 (in general). More than 11 stamps, from the famous 1/2 cent "Dog" stamp to a 10cent Ship.

The #49 Queen Victoria has 4 known color variants: Blue, Pale blue, Bright Blue and Deep Blue. (At this point you may be going crazy with the deep rabbit hole of info--check on the NSSC for more). In my humble opinion, I would not measure the size of the image, because wear and time changes things. Instead focus on the perforations or color. Very hard to determine color (check the posts on this). My guess is yours is the common Blue variety. I'd guess it might be worth $40 if mint, and $5 used; maybe $70 on a cover.

Unitrade #39 has clear but subtle difference in the stamp and was rouletted and issued in 1877. Maybe $10 to $285 (Mint)

There is also #34 in the broad "Blue Queen Victoria" bucket. It also has subtle differences to both the above. Rarer and from 1873. Maybe $20 to $540 (Mint)

These are my opinions and facts from other resources--so might be mistaken in some details

Please post more! Let's Play!
Edited by tommy - 08/12/2022 2:33 pm
United States
4 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmsinger03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello: if one wanted to purchase a new copy of "Newfoundland Specialized Stamp Catalogue", where can I look to purchase"

I am new to Newfoundland stamps

many tnx
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8111 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can try these folks: https://www.nfldstamps.com/

Peter
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05