Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Do With So Many Stamps?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,040Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
Posted 08/30/2022   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been having an auction person in our area sell lots on hibid, he gets 15% but its worth the time to have him do it. One is ending today at 5 PM EST on Walnut Harvest Auctions.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 08/30/2022   1:06 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Indeed. "If you cry 'bout a nickel, you'll die 'bout a dime", as Robert Johnson sang.

Thanks for the post! Never thought I'd see the day where I would read a Robert Johnson quote on SCF!!! Here's another: "and they're red hot, yes, she got 'em for sale!"

Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
513 Posts
Posted 08/30/2022   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Members of the American Philatelic Society can sell stamps through their store or circuit books. I have been doing the former for about 4 years with good success,
Valued Member
114 Posts
Posted 10/24/2022   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AS one who is relatively new to stamp collecting but been doing it since 2020 I have managed until recently to avoid having much in duplicates and extras. I would have extra stamps - mainly low denomination ultra modern ones and recent commems and defins. But when I began getting vintage stamps from collectors seeking to unload excess that is when I ended up with much more excess.

What am I doing with the excess?

a) Use them for postcrossing and mailing a few bills (unless the bill is due within a week)
b) I have donated to Stamps for Wounded and it was quite legitimate -- they sent me a receipt for the catalog value of the stamps.
c) I sell them on eBay and, for now, I find it a very good way to educate oneself about stamps. I stick to common vintage stamps that are MNH and some plate blocks. I get sales but, yes, I am NOT making that much of a profit. I see it as a way to defray a little the costs of stamp collecting.

I like some of the ideas given here and resources so will consider those. For now, if any of you ever receive mail from me, expect it posted with quite a variety of stamps!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6126 Posts
Posted 10/25/2022   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"i have donated to this group or that group " Please stop donating trash . You would not believe how much junk has ended up at the dumpster outside of the commerical building where I kept my dump trucks and work trucks .

For years at the large stamp show in Chicago ,Regency Stamp would have a stamp auction at the show . After I purchased my lots and we came to the end of the auction . David KHOL would auction off charity lots for free for the APS, this means he got the stuff from State College shipped to his office in St. Louis . His staff would repackage and list it in his catalog for Free .

At the auction nobody bid on it , so what does David do ? He turns to FLOORTRADER and looks at me and says "Thanks for your bid " and then says I got the lot for $50.00 ,then he does the same thing again ,so now I am out about $120.00 for bids I never made a bid on . That was fine with me .

I knew David didn't want to haul it back from Chicago to St. Louis ,then ship it to Pennslynia . I viewed it as a APS donation . Then on the way home on Sunday afternoon ,I would stop at work and load the dumpster . There was a few things I kept but it was like $20.00 or $30.00 worth .

this went on for about three years . Now it goes to another auction house and trust me they are doing it for free to help out the charity ,but the same garbage and there are tons of it . Your donation goes to a charity ,then it goes to a stamp auction and then another buyer donates it to a charity ,around and around .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,040Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05