Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is A "Job Lot" Of Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 715Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
26 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cherytwist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering what a job lot of stamps are? I see it on e-bay all the time, Thanks chery
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9052 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A mess to be worked through.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
26 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cherytwist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that sounds fun!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1501 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
job lot noun

Definition of job lot

1 : a miscellaneous collection of goods for sale as a lot usually to a retailer
2 : a miscellaneous and usually inferior collection or group

Examples of job lot in a Sentence

The warehouse bought the pieces as a job lot.

For stamps, the second definition tends to apply with some truth in the first.

Now on eBay, some advice. Some sellers sell, Box Lots of stamps. These can be a good buy with hours of fun sorting and discovering. However, research the seller. The sellers who routinely sell box lots get a following of buyers who make repeat purchases. They tend to push the value of the box lot upward from that seller because they have been happy with prior purchases.

That said, I do not buy box or job lots. But I have seen one seller who has moved such lots for years and the boxes tend to go at a strong price to repeat buyers. I give the seller's ID [ afewgoodstamps ] not so you can see his current listings if there are any box lots, but more importantly to see how his box lots have sold during the last 90 days and the little description he shows of the contents. He starts all lots at $0.01. That is the type of seller to purchase box or job lots from with some piece of mind.

I do buy material from him regularly with no issues. He is 2000 miles from me, have never met in person but have spoken a couple of times on the phone with it being nothing eBay related. He is a two person operation, him and his PTSD affected relative who finds purpose and centering in helping while also earning some money with the flexibility to continue treatment the VA provides. The seller was happy doing it all himself but added the relative to help the relative, not make more on eBay. He is twice retired and does this because he needs something to do during the week. The gravy is it gets the "kid" somewhere safe and supervised while also being out of his parents' house across town during the day.
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"job lot" always had me scratching my head also, Rasdale uses it frequently

"box lot" was always pretty straightforward to me, pretty much just a mystery box of assorted items (mostly low value) for a general collector. "job lot" always seemed a lot more serious, implication based on the name to me that it would take a LOT of actual work (maybe watermarking, plating, measuring perfs) to ID the individual items, not really geared to collector but more to treasure hunter.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9052 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This (see below) turns into those eBay job lots:

Quote:
Worldwide, Bring a Truck (a BIG Truck), 1851-2016, a pallet of albums, First Day Covers, postal history, baseball cards (also NBA, NFL and NHL) and more; Fleetwood Flags of 50 States in binder w/ slipcase, Postal Commemorative Society FDC 1970-1983 in deluxe binder, Showgard album with FDCs, War ration books, several hundred assorted phone cards, JFK Memorial stamp VIP presentation folder, thousands of US commemoratives off paper, 300 Post Office announcement sheets with First Day cancel, massive 22K replica album (well over 100), hundreds of US mint entires, 1958 Brussels Worlds Fair covers mounted (about 80), International Collection of World Wildlife FDC in presentation album, Minkus France album, 100s of modern mint US unfolded aerogrammes, Israel FDCs with tabs in deluxe album, USPS lobby cards with First Day cancel (5 volumes), Supersafe stockbook of Germany town cancel blocks, tens of thousands of worldwide organized by country on manila stock pages, several hundred mint US postal cards, APS circuit book (Banknote fancy cancels), Readers Digest FDC Collection (deluxe oversized for 1979-81, and 1981-82), binder with hundreds of mint postal entires beginning with Columbian Exposition, Fleetwood American Poets presentation folder, thousands of unaddressed FDC 1936-1995, US Olympic Committee FDC Collection in deluxe binder, Great Britain & Commonwealth modern FDC sets, hundreds of mini sheets (CTO) from Scotland and Sweden, shoebox full of 1978-1991 US mint postal cards, stockbook with several hundred postally used Belgium, hundreds of spectacular mint cut squares (Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Salvador), mint AMG Germany on Bush pages, hundreds of Dune country mini sheets (CTO) in moderate duplication, Israel Postal Society binder with 100s of FDCs with tabs, Binder packed with a few hundred worldwide phone cards; albums include Minuteman, Modern, Liberty, Harris Canada, Harris UN, Thorp & Martin US, Traveler, 1933 World Stamp Album, Independence, Scott United Nations; White Ace well populated with United Nations, and Harris Liberty mint Overrun Countries to 1975 in black mounts; Topps and Upper Deck baseball cards in binder (a few hundred), as well as dozens of NBA and NHL cards; needless to say there is LOTS to explore, will require numerous rainy days, Fine to Very Fine. Shipping charges apply - weight 598 lbs.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6856 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   04:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For eBay purposes, I describe things as "job lots" when the numbers, whether of cards or stamps, run into the thousands. But I've seen others offer "job lots" with three or four items.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3092 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   07:46 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lot that is a job to work on.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1501 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a different type of bulk (box or job) lot. Such was usually found in the classified section of stamp publications. Now they show on eBay.

What I show are three different groups 30, 50 and 100 of all different stamps from one country area. This example shows that as the number different goes up, so does the cost per stamp since the lower priced stamps are all included and more expensive ones are needed to make the "all different quantity" noted.

This seller also sells bulk topical lots, such as birds, planes, flowers and the like. The seller also sells real job lots where multiples of the same set are offered together for someone else to then retail individually.

Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, that sounds fun!

Cherytwist I agree fully.

To me, the fun of this hobby is going through a pile of stamps not knowing what treasures you will find. I haven't bought a job lot yet, but I can't wait until I can afford a world wide one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 715Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05