Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain, 1874, 5/- Pale Rose, Pl. 2

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 478Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
335 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StampGuy64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Before and after its restoration; there were one or two foreign things stuck to it, along with crud...

Other than a thin, expectedly within the hinging area at top, and a pulled perf or two, the stamp is sound. The thin may also be seen from the front, with a black background that is, and round the "T" of "POSTAGE". If I placed a white background behind the stamp, the thin could not be seen from the front, but I always use a black background when scanning my stamps. I feel that a stamp looks better with a black background, also more "honest".

SG listed a catalogue-value of 1200 for that one, in 2009(Scott, $1100, also in 2009), but in the real world...???

What do you think it's worth, in its aforementioned condition, and in real-world pricing today, here in 2022? What would you pay for it, for that matter.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2084 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a sound example of this stamp in 2014, with a heavier cancel (but not too heavy!) for 190
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   04:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you got a good deal there.
Edited by StampGuy64 - 08/06/2022 04:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2084 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   04:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That may be so, but it was a real world price from a well respected dealer.

I wouldn't mind betting that with patience, you'd find one cheaper than that on eBay, but it all depends on what you're after.

Your circular datestamp example is facially more attractive than most others out there I'd say.

Getting fabulous examples of these high face value stamps is difficult, but I'd expect to pay good prices for quality items.
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 08/06/2022 04:54 am
Learn More...
United States
10631 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   05:00 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one that sold recently without any faults

Yours is better centered but toned and with a thin, I'd say about $30 - $40 (US).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1702 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The example Don posts appears to be a cleaned-up fiscal use (blue line at bottom with faded appearance along the line) and may have a fake cancellation.

From SG's website:

Quote:

GB 1867 SG127 Pl.2 Used - Grey-town, Nicaragua 'C57' and cds
Stock Code: P212017039

1874 5s Pale rose Pl.2. Very fine used example lettered BE, neatly cancelled by a crisp Grey-town, Nicaragua 'C57' oval numeral with a part Grey-town cds both leaving a clear profile. Scarce cancellation on this plate.

There are two further examples that are off centre but have very nice cancels and better appearance at ca. 800.

The example you show appears faded, has a few missing perforations, has a somewhat smudgy cancel and in general not a very clean appearance. I think Bobby De La Rue may be nearer what it can bring than the eBay example posted by Don (that price reflects its terrible condition). I would be surprised to see it make much more than the ca, 200 Bobby paid.

The catalogued price is for a very fine example. Yours, certainly, is not near very fine.

Personally, I would wait for a better example to come by.
Edited by NSK - 08/06/2022 05:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1702 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Bobby De La Rue,

Could it be a spoon cancel, rather than a CDS?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4008 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased this one a few years ago from the APS Stamp Store. A few pulled perfs, and a blurred cancellation, but I thought it was a good price at US$75 and filled a spot in my collection.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5976 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PARTIME nice purchase and even a good purchase price for a plate 2 .
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got this one as it was priced right, and due to the fact that there are not exactly a lot of them out there( eBay and HipStamp). I thought it too attractive to pass up. I like the London East-Central postmark, as it matches those of others that I have(of 1888), and you can still see the portraiture.

Currently, here's one being offered for $300...

I got my own for only $20, and from a seller within my own state. It's quite presentable, despite the thin. All it needed was rescuing, and a bit of care.

Then, thins and torn-out portions are the worst of detriments, followed by tears, pin-holes and scuffs.

Incidentally, regarding perforation teeth, as long as one might just see a bit of the tooth still, not flush to the stamp's margin, that's perfectly fine; for example...

Of course, prior to purchasing, that one was advertised against a white background, an overly bright image, but I could still see it.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1702 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Incidentally, regarding perforation teeth, as long as one might just see a bit of the tooth still, not flush to the stamp's margin, that's perfectly fine; for example.

A shortish perforation or two on an otherwise nice used stamp - not if it is unused - is acceptable. The 5s you posted in the original post has quite a few shortish perforations.

The perforation of that German stamp, however, is not shortish but torn. It is far from fine. The stamp itself does have its qualities.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I chose that one for its relatively face-free cancellation. Again, as long as a tear-out does not intrude into the body, with a bit of the tooth showing, that's a very minor consideration. Of course, it bothers some, but others not so much.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In addition, the issues of these from 1867(plate 1) and 1874(plate 2) are more attractive, to me, than that later...

...although that one is with merit.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1702 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a completely different stamp from the 1869-type. Everyone is entitled to prefer one stamp over another.
Personally, I find the engraving of the 1884-type much better.

The Liverpool Exchange cancellation on that 1884-type makes it a lot more affordable than a postally-used one.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2084 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could it be a spoon cancel, rather than a CDS?

It's actually a duplex cancel but the stamp has caught far more of the CD than the obliterator.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NSK, it is not completely, that is, utterly, different. The two, side by side...

Note that the older design has two rows of "pearls" encircling the portraiture, yet with the greek-key borders being practically identical. The basic layout is there on both.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 478Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05