Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern Officials On Cover - 1 X 40

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 373Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
505 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
O127 Issue Jan. 1983.
1 x 40 - Salinas, CA June 11, 1990

A newer 1 was issued July 1989.

The envelope is quite large (something you might send personnel files in) - 10"x15". No idea on contents

Rate - 1st oz was 25 each additional 20. Not sure how they came up with 40.
Did the military follow postal regs?

Maybe just trying to get rid of old stock?? Or not that heavy.

pat

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
4495 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Official mail must follow the normal rates.

I agree, the envelope is overpaid or underpaid, which is not uncommon for official mail. "Just slap some stamps on and let it fly"

If 1 ounce or less, it would be 25 cents postage + 10 cents oversize surcharge = 35 cents. A fairly uncommon rate and not as likely as:

If more than one ounce, I agree, it would be 25 cents for the first ounce and 20 cents for each additional ounce = 45 cents at a minimum.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1350 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While what you show is large, it does not appear to be a complete envelope nor contain the recipient's address. Am I wrong?
Pillar Of The Community
505 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct. It was addressed to a family member, so I cropped it.
Anyway, it didn't all fit on the scanner.

Thanks,
Pat
Pillar Of The Community
505 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To John's reference to non-standard size, here is what could have happened.

I have a feeling the PO clerks were getting so many of this size envelopes from the base, they just stopped sending them back (or were told not to bother)

OR- others had the correct postage.

pat

(Folded in half to fit scanner)

Edited by patg23 - 08/08/2022 10:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
4495 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a very nice label. Not common. By the time a mail piece is oversized, it often weighs more than 1 ounce and the surcharge does not apply.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1350 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so I cropped it.

I asked because when envelopes are cut down, one never knows what was possibly cut off such as another 5 cents on official postage. FWIW, the envelop came for the military, not the mathitary.

The oversized explanation sticker is a good modern rarity just a bit more common than an envelope mailed with the over-sized surcharge properly paid the first time.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 08/08/2022 2:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I asked because when envelopes are cut down, one never knows what was possibly cut off such as another 5 cents on official postage. FWIW, the envelop came for the military, not the mathitary.

I think he meant cropped it digitally so not to show a family member's address. He has the whole thing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05