Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Types Of Stamps Are These?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 398Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BooksandStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have several of these in my collection. They seem to be clipped from postcards or stationery. What do we call these and how do I find out more about them?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8089 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We call them cut squares, and are indeed parts of postal stationery. They are sometimes covered in www.stampworld.com and in specialized catalogs.
A chapter of the American Philatelic Society specializes in postal stationery

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
509 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The top one is a corner clipped from a postcard (Scott # UX9) issued in 1894. There were 250,000 of these issued. I don't know value, but it is collectible.
2 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BooksandStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1345 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The top one is a corner clipped from a postcard (Scott # UX9) issued in 1894. There were 250,000 of these issued. I don't know value, but it is collectible.

Unused UX9 has a catalog price of $40, used is $80 per the 2022 Scott US Specialized. The problem is that for envelopes a cut square is priced as well as the entire envelope with the cut square being less expensive. The issue for postal cards is that there is no normal catalog price for a cut square as such are not listed. For these higher cost postal cards, a cut square is collectible.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second one is Shanghai Ministry of Industry emblem stamp.
Someone posted a similar one at an online auction for $660 (not sure if it was USD, or Taiwan dollars).
https://www.ruten.com.tw/item/show?22215578683111
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 398Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05