Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USA 1923 Classic Harding Rotary Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 236Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pastime8469 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, I am new to this community, and I would like to know what the members opinions would be, on what I believe is the USA 1923 Scott 613 perf 11 Rotary press stamp that is provided in the images. I would much appreciate any input about this stamp. Thank you ahead of time, for any responses.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8810 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The design length difference is in the wrong direction to be a 613. Sorry.

Quote:
The listing in the Scott Specialized Catalogue of United States Stamps and Covers is a good starting point. The catalog notes that the design of the flat-plate variety measures 19¼ millimeters by 22¼mm.

Because of the way the images were stretched when the plates were bent (or curved) to form the semicircular plates attached to the rotary drum, the rotary-press variety measures 19¼ by 22½mm.

So a ¼mm measurement the long way makes a difference of $39,999.75? Yes.

But sometimes the difference is even less than ¼mm. There can be some variation resulting from paper stretch and shrinkage. The 22¼mm length for flat-plate examples and the 22½mm measurement for rotary-printed stamps are averages.

It is important to remember that authenticated rotary-printed stamps measure as short as 22.375mm but will always be longer than 22¼mm.

A good way to check for this characteristic is to cut a damaged gauge 11 flat-plate stamp in half vertically. Take the left-hand piece and use it to identify stamps that are long enough to be rotaries by placing the half-stamp against your gauge 11 candidates.

Anything longer than the flat-plate stamp needs to be checked further.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 236Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05