Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Stamp For Every Country: Postage Stamp Album - Any Reviews?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,015Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
China
305 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   05:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TomSwift to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for a new collecting challenge and rand into this album online and on Amazon. This looks like a really fun project and I was planning to purchase the hardcover version but thought I would ask here first to see if anyone has this album and have any comments about it?

A Stamp For Every Country: Postage Stamp Album - Comprehensive
by John C. Knudsen

Here is a link to a PDF of the album provided by the author. It looks good but I was wondering if it lies flat, the paper quality of the hardcover version, if it is in colour, etc. Pictures would be great.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/al...pdf/download
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   06:18 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tom,

This is my book, so I will not review it.

Here are some other SCF threads which give a lot more information:

http://goscf.com/t/78225&whichpage=1

http://goscf.com/t/79734&whichpage=1#723036

http://goscf.com/t/81394&whichpage=1&

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10738 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   06:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend John's album pages, they are well thought out. I liked them enough to emulate John's organization and am in-process with releasing my own pages in the next few weeks. While my pages can be used 'out-of-the-box' they are also 100% customable. You can edit all the existing page entries if desired to make an album that reflects your own stamp selections for each country. You can see an example in the third link John posted above ( http://goscf.com/t/81394&whichpage=1& ) No coding or special applications needed, simply edit the PDF directly itslef.

I anticipate release of my pages in the next two weeks
Don
Valued Member
China
305 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read through the threads. (I did search before posting but found no links for this topic. Strange. ) Very informative. I plan on starting this project but admit I like the idea of colour pages, at least with the flags and pages loose-leaf, since I imagine the book would become quite thick if every spot is filled. With colour and in binders, it would make a great coffee-table book. Still plan on purchasing the hardcover though as it makes a good reference and will look at Don's book when it comes out, as it looks more like what I was envisioning I would like, although both are excellent. Like the idea of being able to edit the pages as well (I would make the flags bigger, for example) but like someone said in the threads, to each his own.

I have been looking for a new collecting challenge and this looks like a fun one.
Valued Member
China
305 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking about this project, does anyone know of a list of stamps generally considered the most beautiful stamp from every country? For example, in Canada, it is generally considered to be the 50c Bluenose stamp. Of course I would pick my own stamps but it would be nice to have a curated list to start with.
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   07:17 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom, it is fun!

It is an ideal (and challenging!) side collection for any philatelist.

My goal, from the beginning, was to popularize the ASFEC concept. This was on my mind while toiling putting it together.

And, it is most gratifying to me the amount of new interest that has been generated...

Especially now since editable solutions are out there, so that each person can adapt it to their own needs.

John
Valued Member
China
305 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I am getting excited about this and plan to start, even though I am still stuck in China. I will start with North America and work my way around the different regions. Picked out the Canadian and American stamps I want and now am looking at Mexican stamps, an area I know nothing about. This will be a fun project.
Learn More...
United States
10738 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   07:26 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The issue of color vs black/white printed pages is one of personal taste. Luckily, it is easy to change your printer settings to print 'grayscale' if a person does not want color pages and to allow the stamps to 'stand out' on the page.

FYI, my pages will also include a set of 'blank' pages which can be added/edited at will; this allows users to make brand new pages/new country organizations if desired.
Don
Valued Member
United Kingdom
15 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kenstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hello tomswift. I am filling this album at the moment, I find it very good to use and like it a lot, I have used mounts which opens the album but am happy about that, to avoid that happening use stamp hinges. all the best ken
Valued Member
China
305 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would use mounts as well because I don't like hinges and would populate with mint stamps. That's why I like the idea of editable pages so you can have multiple albums, to avoid expanding the book.
Valued Member
Canada
318 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   12:38 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that John's ASFEC is a fantastic resource and very reasonably priced as well.

So much so that I rushed out and bought the softcover album as an activity to share with my grandchildren, only to realise that they are probably still far too young to really appreciate it.

So in the meantime, it waits for a future rainy day along with a shoebox of possible candidate stamps that I regularly add to. Most of which is modern, on paper, to be soaked as part of the learning experience.

My aim isn't to make collectors out of them, but to instead foster a curiosity about the world around them and to hopefully engender a lifelong interest in learning more about the planet we live on and the peoples that occupy it.

I should mention that not only has John generously provided the PDF files for anyone to download and print their own, but he also provides the AlbumEasy source files to enable one to produce a custom version of the album if they so desire, something which I believe fellow forum member angore is currently doing.

Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Valued Member
China
305 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to start the project even though I am in China and would not be able to see the actual album (or the stamps), as I will have them shipped to Canada. The Amazon page says there is a checklist in the book but does anyone have one already completed, in a spreadsheet or another format? I was going to go through the PDF and make one myself but if someone has already done this, or have the checklist in a different format, that would save a lot of time.

I am going to try to work on this by only selecting engraved stamps and pre-1948, if possible. Will start with North America and work downwards. For ones I can't get that satisfy these conditions, will try to pick for aesthetics first. I think this would look very nice if done properly.
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   10:02 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Amazon page says there is a checklist in the book but does anyone have one already completed, in a spreadsheet or another format? I was going to go through the PDF and make one myself but if someone has already done this, or have the checklist in a different format, that would save a lot of time.

Tom,

I have the country index (checklist) in PDF or Word for the Comprehensive Album. This would be the version that appears in the printed book. I'm pretty sure that the free online version would be similar, but perhaps different. Does that make sense?!

Anyway, just shoot me a mail via SCF if you want me to send you a copy.

John
Valued Member
China
305 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sent. Thanks.
I am currently going through the North American countries, and will work down. Some will be very simple and some are going to be challenging. The neat thing is that I am learning as I go through. For example, I have never heard of Guanacaste 1885-1889 (Costa Rica) so I am off to do some reading. Fun stuff.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3496 Posts
Posted 08/11/2022   06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For my AFSEC project, I chose creating my own using John's Album Easy source code for full control of page design and to expand based upon First Issue Collector's Club FICC) information as if it were a "first issues" album.

I started by creating a spreadsheet of all the issues in John's album then adding more countries from the FICC list. My list is probably 95% complete with over 1000 spaces identified. John's list had around 740 or so. Now, I am confirming the issues to be listed for each country.

The project has been very educational since I like geography and history.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/11/2022 06:56 am
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like this album a lot. I bought it some months back and my daughters (13-year-old twins and a 12-year-old) are humoring me by filling it with me.
clay-morgan.me Some philately discussions. Some pontificating.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,015Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05