Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain Phq Cards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 282Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
26 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Thinkstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Do these PHQ (Postal Headquarters) cards have any value? They are not in a Scott standard catalog.

I bought a collection of Great Britain awhile ago and have 2 albums of the PHQ cards that came along for the ride.

From what I 'googled' they are like the US post office maximum cards.

These PHQ cards apparently do have some value. I see them listed on some sites as high as 75 pounds each.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6677 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   09:59 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, some of them may, although my practice is to use them for "thank you" notes for eBay sales.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1863 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are showing the very first of these PHQ cards. The earliest issues have high catalogue prices (SG). Prices for PHQ Cards with the relevant stamp attached front or back and a cancellation for the first day of issue are worth considerably more than those for mint PHQ Cards. The earliest sets in mint condition also command high catalogue prices.

The first set was issued after the stamps had been issued, so used prices are for early cancellations (July/August 1973).

For the first set - I think there were five - think more like 75 the set (catalogue) mint and 175 used. Those are prices when you buy them from SG.

You will find that a few years into their existence, they have very little value.

It is comparable to FDCs and traffic lights: the very early ones hold a considerable premium and after a couple of years there is no premium anymore. FDCs may even drop off a cliff.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36233 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My dealer uses them for envelope stiffeners.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1253 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
[i]FDCs may even drop off a cliff.[i]

They hit the bottom a long time ago in the UK. One of my dealers uses them for envelope stiffeners. Doesn't even touch PHQs.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1863 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe to clarify:

First two or three issues (sets): high catalogue values but halving with each issue.
Ensuing issues up to two years after the initial issue: some catalogue value.
Later issues: envelope stiffeners, ignore catalogue price.
Edited by NSK - 08/09/2022 3:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
26 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thinkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all who replied

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 282Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05