Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Album Page Thickness

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,022Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
7 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jcd390 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone help find where I can find the thickness of the pages in some of the common stamp albums? I recently ordered the Scott Minuteman Album and was highly disappointed in the quality of pages and how thin they were. Thanks in advance....
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6117 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like they are now using 20lb paper ,years ago Scott used a heavier stock paper . The lighter 20 lb is ok for hinges and stamps but once you start to include mounts your in trouble with a page full of stamps in mounts .Even worse is when you use the larger mounts to hold souvenir sheets .

Most collectors like a 32lb or 40lb stock paper . I got one album of 65 lbs card stock ,which to me is too heavy but some like it .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6117 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry should of explain to you paper thickness is by weight like I posted above ,when your doing your own page printing .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Schaubek US hingeless album is 70# card stock. Palo albums use 100# paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6830 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   02:40 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most album manufacturers show paper weight in g/sm, rather than pounds, so you may need to do some metric-Imperial conversion. For example, Schaubek pages are 160 gsm, Lighthouse, 170, and Yvert Supra, 190. You wouldn't need anything thicker/heavier than that for normal purposes.
Edited by GeoffHa - 08/10/2022 03:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3562 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had measured some products.

White Ace 8 mil
USPS Souv. Page 5.5 mil
Minkus 7.5
32# laser 4 mil
28# laser 5 mil
Mystic 4.6 mil
Domtar 5.3 mil
Well Centered Publish 7.1mil
Cougar60 4mil
USPS Souv. Pages 5.5 mil
20# 3.8
24# 4.8
28# 5.8
Index Card 8.5 m
Scott Specialty 7.1

Now, the thickness for generic paper can vary by brand even if same weight,
Al
Edited by angore - 08/10/2022 06:44 am
Learn More...
United States
10956 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   07:23 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paper weight can be a pretty confusing topic...

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great chart Don. I have found that the more expensive album producers use tag stock.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6117 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This whole discussion comes down to what can you afford to spend ........is it a cheap album for $25.00 or a expensive $200.00 Pablo album . if it is a larger country with multiple volumes then $400.00 to $500.00 ,just for one country . Then you get nothing on the resale ..

For a person like me it is both space and weight . The thicker paper makes a big difference in both ,
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6830 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   10:51 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an example, a full set of Lighthouse hingeless albums for France will cost you 2,000. Yvert range will be similar. If you cut off your collecting before the flood of modern issues, they become more manageable. By contrast, 1,000 decent blank quadrille leaves will cost me around 120.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8167 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use 67lb paper for my self printed album pages. Sometimes I think that is not heavy enough.
By the way, what is blank quadrille paper?
I think I know what quadrille paper is - in the 60's I made my own Japanese Occupation of the Dutch East Indies on quadrille pages

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6830 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   12:04 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quadrille paper without any writing on it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8167 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff, I was kidding. Blank quadrille paper would be paper without the printing. Any printing!

Peter
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jcd390 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone this is really great info and the paper chart was great....Thanks Don!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3562 Posts
Posted 08/11/2022   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One can usually find white paper in many sizes, but harder to find cream colored paper (my preference) in as many sizes. After doing a lot measuring I decided I wanted something close to 6mils as the balance between thickness for stiffness/ space, and cost plus readily available.

The 6 mils range is the 104gsm2 and 140gsm2 range between two common standards (bond to cover). The metric basis weight is a better way to compare since the measurement does not depend on paper classification (text, bond, cover, index). All paper I have seen include the metric basis weight so easy to compare without having to know all the paper standards.

I will add that paper do have different finishes and usually printed products use smoother paper than what we buy commercially.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/11/2022 06:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
Posted 08/11/2022   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I print all of my Steiner pages on 110lb stock without any problems.
I really like the heavier pages especially when mounting heavier items like First Day Covers.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,022Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05