Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Xacto Or Mount Cutter

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 964Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
19 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Canuck55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just wondering if people think it's worth investing in a mount cutter…. until now an Xacto knife and steel ruler have been fine as I've been only mounting a few stamps, but now I'm starting to create my own stamp pages for a USSR collection of around 1800 stamps, so a lot more cutting… am eyeing the Lighthouse mount cutter

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36223 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use FISKARS "sure cut" paper trimmer.
Expensive but has lasted me 15 years
(some of the markings have worn off)
Replacable blades

You can cut mounts with the stamp inside.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 08/09/2022 10:13 pm
Valued Member
Canada
192 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a mount cutter. No matter how hard you try, you just cannot maintain a consistent straight line at a 90 deg. angle with a blade and a ruler. I started off as a teenager with a blade and a ruler until I could afford amount cutter when I graduated from university. I very quickly replaced all of the mounts that were done with a blade.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1356 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
with PM. Always a straight cut and if cutting a bunch of the same size you can adjust the stop at size wanted and bang them out quite quickly.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8765 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Fiskars as well. Works like a champ.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6675 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   02:41 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which champ, though - Jack Johnson or Primo Carnera?
Valued Member
Canada
19 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canuck55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone- just ordered a Fiskars!
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36223 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done!
A few tips

Just occaisionally, you may miss a stamp. Where is it?
The Fiskars is plastic and static electricity, may just have it under the bottom.

2. The blade, follows a wire trapeze, the blade is double sided,
just pop it out (wide slot at end of runway) Turn it around, and you have a fresh ultra sharp titanium blade.

3. If you like open top mounts, Scott Mounts can be sliced in half lengthwise
to double your mounts for the same price.

4. Hold the clear plastic "holding bar" down when slicing to prevent the long
mount shifting.

5. If you have a wonky end, Fiscars can shave as little as 1-2 mm off one side
if needed.

With definitives, you can load up to 10 stamps in a mount,
adjust lengthwise leaving about 1/8 inch at top and slice off the top.
Then swivel 90 degrees and cut each stamp from the strip
(you need about 1/8th inch between stamps.)

Practice on common stamps first, I have yet to accidentally cut a stamp after 15 years.

I have a chest of drawers on my right hand side
Bottom drawer holds my Fiskars, drawer above holds my mounts

and......... eco friendly 80% recyclable materials used

I NEVER us anything thicker than one sheet of paper, or mounts,
to keep the blade sharp (should last 7 years)

New Blades are expensive $58 AUD for 2 modules (=4 cutting edges)

Edited by rod222 - 08/10/2022 07:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1948 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a straight paper cutter from Staples. Works fine for oversized Showgard mounts. Otherwise, I use the regular Showgard cutters for the normal stuff.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8765 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which champ, though - Jack Johnson or Primo Carnera?

Jack Dempsey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1437 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using the same Showgard mount cutter for 40+ years.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
192 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Likewise, I have been using my Showgard mount cutter since the mid 1980s. I've never tried cutting mounts with my Fiskars and I'm not sure how reliable a small trim would be since you do not have the plastic holding clamp as you would with a proper mount cutter.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36223 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
since you do not have the plastic holding clamp as you would with a proper mount cutter.

Error.
The clear plastic track cutter holds the mount, as you slice.
If you havn't tried it, how can you comment?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8765 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As Rod states, the Fiskar's design uses the clear ruler's pressure as a clamp. It is natural and intuitive to use. Thousands of mounts cut to perfection, and I have never had an issue with alignment.
Valued Member
Canada
22 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wayner_11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using a Lighthouse cutter for a few years now. It was tricky to assemble if my memory serves me. Nothing else bad to say about it. Still sharp.
Valued Member
Canada
192 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To rod222. I can comment because I use my Fiskars for my model railroad hobby. I occasionally need to cut thin clear plastic, similar to mount material, for windows and do not get a consistent clean trim. I need to use my mount cutter instead. So after having that issue, why would I attempt to use the Fiskars for stamp mounts?

It would be really interesting to see a scan of a 1-2mm trim off of a stamp mount done by both a Fiskars and a proper mount cutter.
Edited by PMStamp - 08/10/2022 10:34 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 964Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05