Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Xacto Or Mount Cutter

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 982Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8810 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing that can be done to ensure consistent cuts is to change the blade when needed.

That being said there is zero difference in the mechanics of a Lighthouse vs Showgard vs Fiskar cutter. They all have straight edges and guillotine or rotary blades. You can put a Ferrari nameplate on a Chevy Bolt but you still have a Chevy. I would wager that Fiskar manufactures the other "brands".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
Posted 08/11/2022   02:59 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the one I use:

It features a self-sharpening blade and is reasonably priced, IMHO.
Cuts sizes up to 180mm.

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 08/11/2022 03:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1086 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   5:57 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered a Fiskars about a year ago when this topic came up before, and I think that Rod had mentioned the product back then. Excellent product, and thanks again for the suggestions.

Ray
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3042 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using a Fiskars for years, but recently bought Leuchtturm cutter @johnsim03 mentioned. I have not had a chance to use it. The only issue I see so far is the size gauge is difficult to read.

So I did a little hack. I printed out a ruler and secured it over the pre-printed ruler.
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3505 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a Showgard cutter purchased over 30 years ago and still working fine.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   5:26 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 20-year-old Showguard cutter that still works like a charm. A couple of years ago I won a Lighthouse cutter in a contest that I was happy to receive since it can handle the larger size of mounts. The damned thing mangled almost every mount I tried to cut with it so back into its box it went where its now collecting dust. For the larger mounts I still use my Hawid hand cutter that I got back in 1968 (!)(with the occasional blade change, of course).
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tiger Dude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the Lighthouse & use it for most things - it's smaller than the typical craft cutter like the fiskars. I use pre-cut black Scott/Showgard for single US stamps, but use clear Hawid strips I cut myself for international. I also have acess to very large cutters my wife uses for scrapbooking, the largest Dahle is probably 2 kg/5 lbs. I use it to both trim old frayed album pages and souvenir sheet-sized mounts. I also make craft foam spacers for 2-post binders on it.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use both, mount cutter for basically 99% of the required cuts, and a large xacto table when huge mounts (>170mm) need cutting.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 982Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05