Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Inflation Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 284Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
85 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   04:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add WillUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi My German stamp expert friends. I purchased a group of cancelled inflation stamps from H Baum a collector in Germany. One of these has the expertise mark from Infla on the back with the initials wa and a pencil notation that looks like 1a. This is the 2m over 200 stamps.

There are a dizzying variety of these in Michel Spezial and I am assuming (maybe wrongly) that this one may be a bit special as they went to the trouble of getting it expertised. Any help, thoughts, ideas?

On a related question - if this isn't one of the high value ones why expertise in the first place?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2897 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the cheapest variety of the basic stamp which I assume you should know if you have Michel. Variety "Ia" might only be in older catalogs like mine; "Wa" might be the variety as it is now, as in Walzendruck = rotary press (overprint), color variety "a".

As a guess, it might have been submitted as one of the better varieties but was found to be the cheapest one. It was still determined to have a genuine cancel and was so marked. I'm also guessing that a number of used inflation issues were submitted at one time to make the mailing cost worthwhile.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
85 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your detailed reply.
A small response to the comment that I "should" have known. I have several mnh sheets of this stamp and this used one is not the normal rose colour - it is more orangey brown. I know that this is hard to see in any picture and colours in used stamps can shift for a number of reasons. Hence my interest in the markings. I did not know, for example, the expertisers marked the variety in a stamp - I thought that was the initials of the person doing the work.
One online catalogue confusingly had a brownish red at a higher value if it was a "penetrated perf" - don't even go down that google drain - I think it means rouletted?
My older German Michel shows 7 priced varieties with the orange and brown tones at a much higher price. Hence reaching out to a wider group.
Since submitting this, I google translated two (yes I know I need to get Michel in English) to read 'lively orange-red tone brownish-red" priced at 12000 and "lively vermilion orange-red" at 1100. Perhaps someone thought this could be that and sent it off to check.
In any event, I appreciate the response and information.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1863 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We, earlier discussed the 'penetrated perforations' and in relation to these stamps. This, as you assume, is rouletting.

http://goscf.com/t/75385

I think the people behind Stampworld are from my part of the woods and could do with a good English philatelic glossary.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6678 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   09:28 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, the Dutch speak better English than most English people!
Pillar Of The Community
838 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Praat voor jezelf!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05