Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Newspaper Punch Cancel?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 761Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   12:31 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Previous owner wrote "newspaper punch cancel" on the stamp holder. Is that an accurate description? It appears to have original gum. Does that make sense? Can someone explain how this might come to be? Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! This looks like a terrible accident or really senseless vandalism! I know of no punch cancel like this, but not an expert.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   3:03 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a block of 4 of these for sale on HIP under the following description "US #240 50 slate blue, Block of 4 w/newspaper punched precancel, unused no gum". See them once in a while. Interesting, but "ugly" precancel in my opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8119 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen similar items before, but I have never heard a reason for the holes.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does have some merit, albeit debatable. It does illustrate the mint-like depth of inking.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36240 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8772 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An block of six from Siegel estimated at $150 sold for $200:

https://siegelauctions.com/lot_grd....emailflag=on
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36240 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, the link only showed me a singleton, unsold.

Aha! I see they are mentioned in the above sale, but I have a non pertinent image, just a block of differing stamps.

Edited by rod222 - 08/13/2022 12:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8772 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting how Siegel judiciously uses the term "likely used" in both lot descriptions. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of authenticity of use.

I could find no records in the PF database for such an animal.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8119 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone recall seeing newspaper stamps cancelled in this manner? I cannot recall seeing any. Small punch cancels occasionally, but not anything like this pattern.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   12:10 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also did a fair amount of searching and found nothing. Regular newspaper stamps were issued in 1885 and then in 1894. So in 1893 the 1885 issues should have still been available. Though perhaps they were in short supply? Who knows.

It is interesting that it seems to be only the 50c that exhibits this. The idea that it was a precancel of some kind makes sense with the original gum on my stamp. But as far as finding out why or how they were used - I've got nothing. I'll be transparent - I'm going to sell this stamp and I'll use some wording - maybe along the lines Siegel used. After all if they can - I can - but at this point the truth of these stamps is elusive.
Learn More...
United States
10738 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   4:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your listed stamp mentions 'original gum' and that seems to indicate that it was not used on newspaper bundle?

Did not the USPOD end up taking back unsold Columbian stock from POs and destroying them? Could it be some kind of remainder?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8119 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did not the USPOD end up taking back unsold Columbian stock from POs and destroying them? Could it be some kind of remainder?

Why bother? If they were going to be destroyed anyway, why not just count them and burn them?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1004 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember seeing this for sale (a block of 4? 6? 8?) about 30 or 35 years ago at auction. It was definitely in the 1980's since I was in the business at the time. Shreve's???? Lippert??? I think it was Shreve's, but can't swear to it. Anyway, whoever it was, they also described it as either a newspaper punch cancel, or as an 'experimental' cancel - they clearly didn't know, either. I've only seen it on the 50c Columbian and no other values. I suspect someone got hold of a sheet of the 50c and, for whatever reason, punched the sheet and it has been broken in the years since. These pop up every once in a while. I am yet to see a definitive explanation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8772 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Siegel sold a block of six in 2014. The link is above. They seemed a bit noncommittal in their description.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1720 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why doesn't someone contact Scott Trepel at Siegel and ask where that info came from.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 761Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05