Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where Was WW2 British Censor 4392?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 368Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an airmail cover sent from the Belgian Congo to the US in 1941 and it has a paper tape censorship closure on one end. The markings on it are P.C. 90 OPENED BY EXAMINER 4392. I understand that these P.C. 90 marked paper tape censors were British. My question is whether anyone knows where Examiner 4392 was based? Was it Trinidad or the Gambia or Nigeria or someplace else on the airmail route between the Belgian Congo and the US? Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36205 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May we see the entire cover please?

Are there no FPO strike (Field Post Office CDS)?
I have all the Brit. Post offices from 1914 to 1982

Never come across a catalogue of Censor marks, that's new for me.

Here is one for 4320
Suggested intercepted and censored in Liverpool
Perhaps your received a similar interception?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 08/14/2022 2:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably Bermuda, but would like to see the cover.

Few questions can or should be answered without showing the material in question. Saves lots of time and guesswork.
Edited by mml1942 - 08/14/2022 2:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly Bermuda, but I think it is more likely Trinidad or the Gambia or Nigeria as those were the British colonies along the route at that time. Bermuda was out of the way in 1941, though it did become a censoring center a little later in 1942 and afterwards. The censor tape along the left edge was applied by the Belgian Congo.
Edited by Kimo - 08/14/2022 6:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the back of the cover.

Edited by Kimo - 08/15/2022 08:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As can be seen by the Leopoldville and Miami cancels along with the boxed and straight-line cachets this was flown on Pan American's first flight of Foreign Air Mail 22 (FAM 22). My guess is the sender X. Burtie (spelling?) who was living in Wenghi-Coquilhatville in the Belgian Congo was sending this as a regular letter to a friend or colleague or family member in Newark, N.J., though the nice stamps suggest that perhaps the recipient enjoyed collecting stamps? I am not sure why this person was sending a letter to a person in New Jersey, though perhaps the sender was a missionary of some kind?
Edited by Kimo - 08/15/2022 07:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
542 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
4392 is recorded used in Trinidad. British labels were mostly used there by Imperial censors to train local staff.

These British-type labels moved between stations, so this isn't definitive.

4392 is not reported as a number used in Bermuda.
Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!!! I was suspecting that it was from one of the three British colonies I mentioned as being stops on the first flight - Trinidad, Nigeria or the Gambia so it is great to know that I was on the right path and that it was Trinidad. I have seen a great many covers on this inauguration of the Pan Am clipper flying boat service between Miami and Leopoldville but very few of them seem to have been censored like this one. Perhaps it is because this one likely contained a letter while most of the others were just empty covers prepared and flown on that first flight.
Edited by Kimo - 08/15/2022 9:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4493 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
4392 is recorded used in Trinidad.

May I ask ... Where or by whom? Reference please. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
542 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   03:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
May I ask ... Where or by whom? Reference please. Thank you.

"British Empire Civil Censorship Devices World War II Section 6 - British West Indies & Falkland Islands"
Published by and Copyright held by The Civil Censorship Study Group
Edited by Peter C Burrows
February 2016

Trinidad and Tobago, p.26

Pillar Of The Community
4493 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. No doubt having a bibliographic citation will help others in the future.
Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing the additional details, Plateflaw. I did not know that the Imperial censors were training local staff at T&T. I always enjoy learning - it makes collecting so much more interesting.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 368Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05