Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Scott 313/ My Catalog Says $700.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 760Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
332 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ddreisba to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My question is in the title. I was clearing off my desk and came across it. i've had it for a while, long enough to forget where it came from . My elderly Scott Specialized values it at over $700. I don't have that kind of money to spend on stamps. I didn't mount it in the album because I couldn't believe it is real. The perf are about right. I couldn't find a watermark, but with US stamps I seldom can. What is your opinion?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Measure the perf. 12 for #313,10 for #480. No watermark is 480.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8772 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is perf 10 and so it is a Scott 480, catalog value $35. Sorry.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1948 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like perf 10 to me
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8118 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
895 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also looks like a sizable tear from the top middle. That and the heavy cancel would severely lessen its value.
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is perf 10. Thanks for the help. I am not disappointed. I'm just glad to get it settled. People who expect to get rich from collecting stamps and coins end up in a loony bin, or a jail. But I do wish albums had signs for people like me: "Hey, stupid, there is a stamp that looks a lot like this one a few pages on!"
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I do wish albums had signs for people like me: "Hey, stupid, there is a stamp that looks a lot like this one a few pages on!"

But that's where education comes in. Learning about stamps is a major part of collecting stamps. It's a never-ending process.

What I think drives a lot of us crazy, and this isn't aimed at you because you didn't just show up looking to make a buck, but the number of people who do come here, with one or two posts, saying "I found a stamp, tell me how rich I am!" Sorry, I have no interest in helping people like that. This is a forum for collectors, people who care about the stamps and postal history. Anyone who is just looking to make a buck is a speculator or an opportunist and I have no interest in people like that. They want to use our expertise, for free mind you, so they can make money. Hard pass on that, thanks. If they think they've got something worth a bundle, let them send it in to be expertized. That's what expertizing is for. Of course, that takes time and money and most of the people who are riding the "gimme gimme gimme" train don't want to spend any of that. They just want to be told that they're sitting on a gold mine. They never ask because "my collection has a space for this stamp, is this legitimate?" Those are the people who actually deserve our help.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8772 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do think that Scott could do a better job of cross-referencing stamp catalog numbers that share common designs but differ in watermarks or perforations etc..
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam,
I use the stamp identifier for definitives in the US Specialized for that purpose. Helps a good bit.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capthickey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found this app helpful to differentiate between/among US stamps with the same design: "Stamp ID Pro: Collect Stamps." It's available in the Apple App Store. Not sure if there is an Android version. Still need a perforation gauge and watermark detector, but it's a nice complement to Scotts.
Edited by Capthickey - 08/18/2022 7:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4495 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott has a lot of often-overlooked information in the introduction, the "Identifier of Definitive Issues" and the fine print below each listing. This footnote under Scott 313 about the perf 10 varieties has been in the catalog since 1941, over 80 years:

That said, the listings for 479 and 480 are not quite as transparent to work backwards, nor illustrated. I don't have examples of any of these four.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36237 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the reason, I am a Scott tragic,
Their "cross referencing" is the best I have encountered in a general catalogue.
that together with a fabulous font.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8772 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott's cross-referencing, especially for non-US countries, sucks. One of the main issues is that Scott will send you forward in time to a similar issue but not back in time. One way Scott.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8118 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, one always has to find the original issue of a design to find out where else it shows up.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36237 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gee, you guys are dinosaurs.
Say you collect Cambodia, scan the Scott pages, produce an *.pdf
and have it OCR.

Just CTRL F for your stamp type, say "A7" and there is every instance of that stamp.

I have 24 Catalogues of Turkey under OCR
and could not work without it.

My Forbin is under OCR (Not sure if "Stampsmarter" is)

My Western Australia Mogens Juhl similarly.
Monographs are esp great for OCR.

Edited by rod222 - 08/18/2022 8:03 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 760Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05